[Ccb-alumni] Talking Glucose Meters

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Mon Feb 16 18:43:22 UTC 2009

I have been asked to circulate the following:
Dave

Ladies and Gentlemen:

My name is Bernadette M. Jacobs.  I am a member of the National
Federation of the Blind, (NFB), and have been for many, many
years.  The NFB believes that
blind people have a right to use accessible glucose monitoring
meters.   If you or someone you know has been denied the right to an
accessible meter, the
NFB should be notified.

I am currently working as a "Consultant" with Diagnostic Devices,
INC., (DDI), makers of the "New Prodigy Voice," the very newest of
the Talking Glucose
Monitoring Systems for the Blind/Visually Impaired diabetic.

As everyone here that we are addressing is well aware, independent
monitoring of one's blood sugars is vital and of utmost importance in
our diabetes management!!!
"A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH!!!"

We of the NFB are well aware that there are many, many blind/visually
impaired diabetic patients who not only do not have meters they can
independently
use, but they are unable to receive such a meter because many
insurance companies, brokers, and managed care facilities do not have
these meters either
on their formularies, or simply do not consider us "In Network."

DDI, and NFB are currently working together with insurance companies
and other managed care facilities in an effort to make things happen
so that the "New
Prodigy Voice" is available to anyone and everyone who needs a
talking meter which he/she can use completely independently  After
all, Independence is
what we're all about!!

For those of you who need a talking glucose monitoring system and
need more options available to you, I would cordially, as well as
personally invite anyone
to contact me or Charlie Brown off list at:

You may contact Charlie Brown at
cbrown at actionfund.org
  or by calling  him at 410 659 9314, ext. 2206.  You may reach me as follows:

Bernadette M. Jacobs

1501 Langford Road

Gwynn Oak, MD 21207-4958

Home Phone: 410-455-5311.

Email:
bandbjacobs at verizon.net

For anyone who doesn't have computer access, I am a Grade Two Braille
reader.  Also for those with Limited Long Distance, you can call me
and I'll simply
offer to call you back to help you.

Cordially,

Bernadette M. Jacobs