[Ccb-alumni] Jury finds IA Dept. for Blind's guidedog policydoes not discriminate

Marty Rahn marty.rahn at juno.com
Fri Feb 20 22:30:12 UTC 2009

Jim and all,
I think that what the verdict says is that persons with dog guides can
indeed attend adjustment to blindness training programs, but that the
programs themselves do not have to allow the person with a guide dog to use
said dog during cane travel instruction time.  From my reading of the
message, this is what it sounds like to me.  The IA Dept has, as it says in
the message no objection to guide dogs within the center.  I was in the
Colorado Center for The Blind when a couple of students with guide dogs went
through the program, and the only requirement that was stipulated was that
these students not use their dogs when out on cane travel.  In my opinion,
if one decides to go through such a program, then they should abide by its
rules.  When students decide to go throu such a program, they are there to
learn a specific set of skills; one of which is how to safely and
effectively use a cane.  If the NFB training centers were to begin letting
students taylor their programs, I don't think that they would have enough
time or resources to focus on students' specific needs.  It is just like any
school that follows a curriculum.  Certain modifications and accommodations
can be made, but to allow each and every student/family to change the entire
curriculum to meet every students' particular needs would be more
detramental to the further learning of other students.
Marty Rahn
President, Colorado Association of Blind Students
Vice President, National Federation of the Blind of Colorado (Greeley
Chapter)