[Ccb-alumni] Fw: message from Scott LaBarre re State Convention

Melissa Green graduate56 at juno.com
Mon Sep 28 18:22:32 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: Lisa Bonderson
To: Colorado-talk NFBC
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 11:47 AM
Subject: message from Scott LaBarre re State Convention

Greetings Federationists!

Convention is drawing near and deadlines loom.  The most important deadline is that for the hotel.  I have been able to extend the room reservation deadline through Wednesday, September 30.  If you don't have your room, please book it now!  Room rates are $84.00 a night across the board.  You can call the hotel at 303 321-3333 and tell them that you are with the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado convention.  Also you can go to: http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/groups/personalized/RLDV-DT-NFB-20091101/index.jhtml  to book your room online.

As for convention preregistration, we are still working on the online form but it will be available in the next couple of days.  I will make an announcement when it is ready.  The preregistration deadline isn't until October 25th.  If you want to call in your preregistration and fill it out over the phone, please call Lisa Bonderson at 303 504-5979 and she can take your information and credit card data.

Please stay tuned for more details.  I am posting here again the general convention announcement.

Scott

CELEBRATING LOUIS BRAILLE'S 200TH BIRTHDAY AND BRINGING FREEDOM TO THE BLIND THROUGH LITERACY

55TH ANNUAL CONVENTION

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF COLORADO

Join us for the 55th Annual Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado starting November 5th and lasting through November 8th at the Denver DoubleTree, 3203 Quebec Street.  For room reservations go to: http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/groups/personalized/RLDV-DT-NFB-20091101/index.jhtml or call 303 321-3333.  All room reservations should be made directly through the DoubleTree's website or by calling and must be made by September 28th.  Room rates are $84.00 a night.

The Convention will kick off with the 5th Annual Seniors Possibilities Fair and first ever Youth Fair, Thursday morning, November 5th.  We have also been calling this a Fair for All because there is no generation gap when it comes to the pressing issues facing the blind of all ages.  Hundreds of blind/visually impaired seniors and youth, their friends, family, and related professionals will learn about services, products, and possibilities available to them. In addition to the customary room full of exhibitors and service providers and a luncheon featuring a keynote address, this year's Fair will include break-out sessions targeted to specific topics and groups.

General Convention sessions will start Friday morning, November 6th and last through noon on November 8th.  Several breakout sessions will occur concentrating on special topic areas and interest groups.  Two-hundred years after the birth of Louis Braille, we will reflect on the importance of Braille literacy as an integral part of our march towards first class citizenship.  We will also hear from agencies serving the blind.   Other topics of importance to the blind such as transportation, information technology, and employment will be addressed.  Political leaders will visit the convention and share their hopes for the future as we share ours with them.  Dozens of exhibitors will have their wares on display starting on Thursday, November 5th and throughout the weekend.  The Convention will also feature several fun and highly interactive social events, brought to us by our host chapter, the National Federation of the Blind of Denver.

Stay tuned to this website for more convention details.  Online registration will be available starting September 14th and lasting through October 25th. The total convention registration including registration fees, three luncheons, receptions, and a banquet will be $85.00 through October 25th and $110.00 after October 25th or at the door.  Please, call or email the President, Scott LaBarre, at 303 504-5979 or slabarre at nfbco.org if you would like to be an exhibitor or if you would like more details generally.