[Cccnfbw] international roaming and your Cell Phones at Convention

Wilson, Joanne JWilson at nfb.org
Fri Jun 19 01:36:09 UTC 2009

----------
From: Berggren, John
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2009 2:17 PM
To: NCB Staff

For those of you travelling to convention, you'll notice that just a
couple hundred yards across the Detroit River is Canada, our neighbor
to the north (or in this unusual case, our neighbor to the
south).  Though you will need a passport to cross the border, your
cell phone doesn't.  Depending where you are in the hotel, your cell
phone (or data card) may give up on a weak signal from your carrier
and switch to the Rogers Communications cell signal from
Canada.  This constitutes international roaming and can be very
expensive.  Unless you have a contract that includes it, you might
consider contacting your provider to disable international roaming,
if only for the first couple of weeks of July.  I found AT&T to be
very helpful in providing assistance with my request.  To make it a
bit easier for those interested, here are contact numbers for the
various carriers:

AT&T : 611 or 800-331-0500
Sprint : *2, press Talk or 888-211-4727
T-Mobile : 800-937-8997
Verizon : *611 or 800-922-0204
Virgin Mobile : 888-322-1122

Here's to no cell phone bill surprises, eh?  If you supervise anyone
without e-mail, please advise any of those attending convention.

Regards,
John