[Central-md-chapter] A review of the amazon echo

Graham Mehl blind at trailstone.com
Thu Dec 8 12:49:08 UTC 2016

Hi All,

Jerry Price gave a wonderful presentation at our last champter meeting.
Sharon sent out a listof products he refferred to and URLs for places that
can be helpful in finding other products. I came across an article that is a
good review of the amazon echo and Amazon dot.  I will provide the link to
the article below. The reviewer has a whole section about how to turn on and
off lights in ytour home. Sharon asked on how that could be done at the
meeting. A concern of security was brought up. Both from a constant
listening point of view and from storage of credit card information. I would
like to point outthat like the Amazon echo listening for a trigger word
constantly Starting with the iPhone 6, Siri can be setup to listen for your
requests too. So instead of holding down the home button, you just say the
trigger word, Siri. As for the credit card and the storage of it on your
phone - I am not sure about all smart phones, but in order to setup the app
store on the iPhone, you have to store your credit card info. I would have
to double check this, but I believe the credit card info is stored inside
the app and not out in the cloud associated with some service. So similarly
ordering pizza the Pizza Hut app would have your credit card info saved
within it in case you use it offen.  So it is up to the app on how it sets
up security of your info. The Amazon echo or dot to my knowledge would not
have this info stored within its skills. The skills or templates are
instructions on how the Amazon echo interfaces / connects with the existing
apps already on your devices the Amazon echo has connection to such as your
phone.

Here is the URL for the article I mentioned. Check it out.

https://luisperezonline.com/2016/12/05/amazon-echo-as-an-accessibility-suppo
rt/
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001CLBkezp2O4WjT2nT5fnhpyFi9OxluHvAidiplgTayUqI
IDTocP9kcBP6NH_0UAnz5-HwWKTjFnG4NEjmRaWAxVDgHi44SCDGZGhfkkq9J-y9mzcZEshVU6SX
W0uJDqo_4_OihcHiAEdU_dK8_E73woQhVJgCwddxxk6zefqsIO8vPs6dRPrZ8FN6IYHdJqRsQqhJ
tQsEf1IJ5QCTpzSQGFlB1MwfeyYKZuo8YIlsVKG-31kzm5kNW0JM4P353hp1&c=mkog6dvD7nbrJ
f-hv3AJI4OSCuD-rlmpCXFLsfk5JCjk8UZYG11wRg==&ch=cRFrUKisMVu-k_ucK90Do2jmWbCu7
SUegQquKa1tzkEUAmvfCXiwaA==>

--

Graham Mehl

 <mailto:blind at trailstone.com> blind at trailstone.com

NFB Central Maryland Chapter, Vice President

LCB graduate, 2016

 <http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>