[Central-md-chapter] Actions for this week

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 6 15:04:28 UTC 2017

Hello All!

Please be sure to read this entire message because we need your help on
several items this week.

Congress is back in session and they need to hear from each of us! Please do
two things. First, call the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee
Congressman Goodlatte at (202) 225-5431.  Please urge him to postpone the
vote on the ADA Education and Reform Act, HR620, so that appropriate
research can be done and a better solution proposed.  Make this call right
away, because the committee is scheduled to vote tomorrow, September 7.

The next action is to call your congressman and ask him to co-sponsor HR
1734 the Access Technology Affordability Act.  The general switchboard
number is 202-224-3121.  Since tax reform is on the congressional agenda, we
must make this call to get our tax credit to purchase accessible technology.
Both Maryland Senators have co-sponsored this bill.  Let's get ALL of the
Maryland Congressmen on board as well.

Help us spread the word that the Maryland Diabetes Action Network support
conference call will take place on September 7 from 7-8pm.  The call in
number is 641-715-3272, the access code is 720125.  A portion of the
conference call will be devoted to remembering our friend and colleague Tom
Ley.  Tom's memorial service takes place on Friday, September 8 at 2pm.  In
lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be sent to the Thomas
Ley Louisiana Center for the Blind Memorial Fund.  Donations can be made on
line at www.louisianacenter.org <http://www.louisianacenter.org>  on their
"donate" section and check the box for the Thomas Ley Memorial Fund.  Checks
can be made out to the Louisiana Center for the Blind and put Thomas Ley
Memorial Fund on the memo line.  Mail checks to The Thomas Ley Memorial Fund
c/o Louisiana Center for the Blind, 101 South Trenton Street, Ruston, LA
71270.

If you are coming to the board of directors meeting to help us plan the
convention on Saturday, September 9, remember that the board meeting begins
at 10 a.m. and you must bring $20 for lunch.  The address is Sheraton
Baltimore North Hotel, 903 Dulaney Valley Road, Towson, MD 21204. The
meeting will be in the McIntosh Room which is on the second floor.

Thanks for your help and participation!

Sharon Maneki, President
410-715-9596
blindness is not what holds you back.