[Central-md-chapter] December Minute Message from the Movement

president at nfbmd.org president at nfbmd.org
Sat Dec 29 01:25:52 UTC 2018

December 2018 Minute Message

Fellow Federationists:

Happy holidays!

As we close out 2018, I have been reflecting on how much we have
accomplished this year.  I'm excited about all our activities in 2019, and I
have no doubt it will be our busiest and most successful year yet.  I have
also been reflecting on how the Federation is more than a group of
individuals with a common goal.  We are a family in every sense of the word.
We push one another to reach farther, aim higher, and dig deeper.  With such
a support system, each of us is that much more likely to turn our dreams
into reality.  But what strikes me most about our family is the strength of
our love for one another.  That is what makes us truly unique as an
organization.

Participants Needed for the National Braille Readers are Leaders Contest

It's not too late to enter your children in our National Braille Readers are
Leaders contest (BRAL)! This is a good opportunity to encourage braille
reading. This contest is different than the Braille Challenge, because you
do all of it at home. However it is good preparation for the Braille
challenge that will occur on February 9, 2019. In addition to the National
prizes for the BRAL Contest, we will have some prizes and recognition for
all Maryland participants. See below information and sign up quickly!!

*	For each student who enters, a certifying official (parent, teacher,
etc.) must fill out and submit a registration form. Registration forms can
be submitted as late as January 19, 2019.
*	Kids enter in one of five grade categories: K-1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-8, &
9-12.
*	Participants record Braille pages read in the weeks between December
1, 2018 and January 19, 2019 on a reading log.
*	The certifying official must submit the completed reading log form
by February 2, 2019.
*	Prizes in each grade category are: first, $25; second, $15; third,
$10.
*	Every contestant, whether a winner or not, will receive a "goodie
bag" containing Braille-related items at the end of the contest.

In addition to awards in the five grade categories, the Kelly Doty Award is
given to a student who has met unusual challenges in order to learn and read
Braille. Such challenges include, but are not limited to, having other
disabilities in addition to blindness or being an English language learner.

For further information, go to:
<https://www.nfbofillinois.org/nationwide-bral-contest>
https://www.nfbofillinois.org/nationwide-bral-contest.

Win Prizes for Reading - and Support the Library at the Same Time!

Want to earn prizes for reading?  Want to help your library compete for a
$35,000 cash prize?  The Maryland Library for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped (LBPH) is participating in the second annual reading challenge,
which takes place between January 1 and 31, 2019.  Sponsored by Mark Cuban,
of Shark Tank Fame, top performing libraries could receive a cash prize of
up to $35,000!  Think of what that could do for the community - and how many
Braille books Maryland LBPH could acquire and audiobooks they could produce
and duplicate.  Our library has set a goal of 50,000 minutes, which is 833.3
hours.  This breaks down to about 84 ten-hour audiobooks for BARD and
cartridge users.  Many of you are already avid readers, so you can be
entered to win prizes for something you already do.  And those who aren't,
well, in honor of Louis Braille's birthday month, perhaps you could spare
some time for a good book.

To register for the contest and to track minutes read, visit
https://marylandlbph.beanstack.org.

NFB RideShare Testing Program

We still need your help.  If you use a service animal or are accompanying
someone who does, please fill out a short form about your experience each
time you use Uber or Lyft. In Maryland, we have to complete a certain number
of surveys each year, and we're not there yet for 2018.  You can submit a
survey for every trip you took in 2018, so please look back at your ride
history and do this if you haven't already done so.  Please go to
<https://nfb.org/rideshare-test> https://nfb.org/rideshare-test or use the
NFB Connect app (instructions below) to complete the survey. Please give us
information about both good and bad experiences. Spread the word, we need
information from every blind person whether they are a member of NFB or not.
Ashley Alvey is the Maryland coordinator for this program. If you have
questions email her at ashleyalvey1994 at gmail.com.

NFB Connect App instructions for Rideshare Survey

1.	On the top left corner of the screen, you will find a button that
says, Menu button. Double tap Menu.
2.	After double tapping on menu, at the top left corner of the screen,
you will see Home.
3.	Swipe to the right once and you will see Fast Facts. Double tap Fast
Facts.
4.	You will swipe right until you see, Rideshare Survey. Double tap
Rideshare Survey.
5.	Lastly, swipe to the right. When you see First Name, this is where
the form begins and this is where you put in the information for the survey.

Baltimore Scooter Program Survey

You may have noticed that there are a significant number of dockless
scooters on the streets and sidewalks of Baltimore.  NFBMD and the Greater
Baltimore Chapter have been working on providing input and feedback to the
Baltimore Department of Transportation regarding how the Baltimore dockless
scooter pilot program, which is scheduled to end in late February, impacts
the blind.  We have shared recommendations related to: 1) establishing and
enforcing specific requirements for safe riding (not on sidewalks) and
parking (in appropriate locations that do not obstruct building/business
entry and egress, curb cuts, public transportation stops, and sidewalks
hindering pedestrian traffic); 2) improving accessibility of apps used by
the scooter companies and expanding access to those who need to report
improper usage/parking; 3) enhancing and improving communication and
training related to these programs; 4) implementing a minimum sound standard
for moving and tipped scooters consistent with the Pedestrian Safety
Enhancement Act; and 5) ensuring that individuals who violate the rules
related to riding/parking are penalized in order to deter this behavior.

The Baltimore Department of Transportation is seeking feedback on the
scooter pilot program and has launched a survey.  This is a Google docs
survey, and thus though it is accessible with most screen readers, it may be
finicky.  Thus, if you have difficulty with the survey, please contact
Rachel Olivero at Rachel at olivero.us <mailto:Rachel at olivero.us>  for
assistance.  The survey is located at:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd2P-kaDFx4Q91QbjtQML6YwEtLkm4ekoWq
DU6wxiNfsfL16g/viewform.

NFB and NFBMD Scholarship Programs

The National Federation of the Blind and the National Federation of the
Blind of Maryland each administer a separate scholarship program for
post-secondary students.  The deadline to apply for an NFB scholarship is
March 31, 2019, and the deadline to apply for an NFBMD Scholarship is April
15, 2019.

National Scholarship Program: Each year, the NFB awards 30 merit-based
scholarships totaling at least $120,000.

-         Scholarships range in amount from $3,000 to $12,000.

-         Scholarships are awarded based on academic achievement,
leadership, and community service.

-         The 30 scholarship finalists are announced in the spring and
attend the National Convention, where they are awarded a specific
scholarship.

-         Application materials must be submitted (online or postmarked) by
11:59PM on March 31, 2019.

-         To be eligible, applicants must:

o   Be legally blind in both eyes;

o   Reside in the United States, the District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico;

o   Be pursuing or planning to pursue a full-time, post-secondary course of
study in a degree program at a U.S. institution in the Fall of 2019 (one
scholarship may be awarded to an individual who works full-time and attends
school part-time); and

o   Attend the entire National Convention of the National Federation of the
Blind (and all scholarship activities) in Las Vegas, Nevada from July 7
through 12, 2019 (scholarship finalists will receive convention assistance).

-         To apply:

o   Submit an application using the online application system at
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/scholarships/login>
https://nfb.org/civicrm/scholarships/login; or

o   Download, complete, and email or mail in a hard copy application form by
visiting:  <https://nfb.org/programs/scholarship-program>
https://nfb.org/programs/scholarship-program.

State Scholarship Program: Each year, the NFB of Maryland awards the John T.
McCraw Scholarship to two students in the amounts of $2,000 and $1,500 each.
NFBMD may award a third scholarship to a former McCraw scholarship
recipient.

-         Scholarships are awarded based on academic achievement and
community involvement.

-         Application materials must be submitted (online or postmarked) by
11:59PM on April 15, 2019.

-         To be eligible, applicants must:

o   Be legally blind in both eyes;

o   Be a legal resident of Maryland or be pursuing post-secondary studies at
a school in Maryland;

o   Be pursuing or planning to pursue a full-time, post-secondary course of
study in a degree program in the Fall of 2019; and

o   Attend the entire National Convention of the National Federation of the
Blind in Las Vegas, Nevada from July 7 through 12, 2019 and the annual
convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Maryland in Baltimore,
Maryland from November 8 - 10, 2019 (scholarship finalists will receive
convention assistance).

-         To apply:

o   Submit an application using the online application system at
http://nfbmd.org/scholarship/apply; or

o   Download, complete, and email or mail in a hard copy application form by
visiting:  <http://nfbmd.org/scholarship> http://nfbmd.org/scholarship.

Do you feel lucky?

The NFBMD spring raffle is underway. During the month of May, you have the
opportunity to win $50 Sunday through Friday, or $100 on Saturday. Purchase
a 3-digit number raffle ticket for $5. You will be the only one who has this
number. Between now and February 10, you may request a specific number from
Melissa Riccobono and pay the $5. You might want to request your birthday,
your anniversary, or some other significant number. After February 10,
tickets will be available from chapter presidents and you will not
necessarily be able to get the specific number you want. If you want to buy
or sell tickets, please  <mailto:melissa at riccobono.us> contact Melissa
Riccobono by email. Help us sell all 1,000 tickets!

Seasons Greetings

Best Wishes for a holiday season filled with relaxation and fun. May this
season of hope renew your spirit so that your dreams may become a reality in
2019.

Important Dates for 2019

*	January 24th - Annual Day in Annapolis.
*	January 28th - Great Gathering meeting in Washington DC at the
Holiday Inn Capitol.
*	January 29th - Visit to Maryland Congressional Delegation in
Washington DC.
*	February 9th - Regional Braille Challenge, held at the Maryland
School for the Blind.
*	March 8th - Basket Bingo at The Lodge 2832 9 Mile Cir. Catonsville,
MD.
*	March 31st - Deadline for National Scholarship Applications.
*	April 15th - Deadline for NFBMD Scholarship Applications.
*	July 7-12th - NFB National Convention Las Vegas, NV.
*	August 14th - Annual Crab Feast
*	November 8-10 - Annual State Convention, Baltimore, Maryland

Ronza Othman, President

443-426-4110

blindness is not what holds you back.