[Central-MD-Chapter] NFB central Maryland September 2021 chapter information updates

blind at trailstone.com blind at trailstone.com
Tue Sep 14 10:38:08 UTC 2021

Hi all,
It is that time of year ... temperatures begin to cool down, Tree leaves
begin to start changing colors, Kids are going back to school. And of course
my favorite - pumpkin spice coffee and pumpkin pies. Not to mention
Jack-o-lanterns filled with chocolate. Are you seeing a theme?

At our last meeting, we caught up with what people were doing the summer. We
also talked about the rebranding of Meet the blind month to Blind Equality
Achievement month. What Blind Equality Achievement month activities we will
be doing. And we talked about our annual picnic on September  18th.

Below are a few general announcements followed by the 3 usual NFB
publications that are so critical to checkout.

Focus Forward: The 2021 NFB of Maryland State Convention is Coming!

Focus Forward!

Get ready for a weekend of fun and fellowship.  Come and be part of
celebrating our accomplishments and planning for the future!
list of 6 items
• Date: November 12 to 14, 2021
• Place: Holiday Inn Baltimore Downtown Inner Harbor, 105 W Fayette Street,
Baltimore, MD 21201
• Meet our keynote speaker and National Representative, Julie Deden,
Executive Director of the Colorado Center for the Blind.
• Explore opportunities through special workshops for parents and teachers
of blind children, blind merchants and entrepreneurs, and students. Check
out
our technology workshops and more.
• Examine new products at the exhibit hall on Friday.
• Help us raise expectations for ourselves and for officials who manage
services for the blind.

Find more details and register for convention at
https://nfbmd.org/convention

Please check out the following NFB publications.
• July / August 2021 Minute Message
http://nfbmd.org/node/463
In this issue...

2021 NFB National Convention – Virtual and the Best So Far!

Get ready for New Orleans in 2022!

Attend the NFBMD Board of Directors Meeting

Focus Forward: The State Convention is Coming!

NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition!

NFBMD COVID-19 Emergency Response Fund

• September 2021 presidential release
President Mark Riccobono delivers presidential release #508 before a live
virtual audience. He provides perspective regarding Section 508 of the
Rehabilitation
Act and announces the rebrand for our important October campaign formally
known as Meet the Blind Month. We are excited to celebrate
Blind Equality Achievement Month
 this October.
https://youtu.be/S1Leypm3Q18

• BRAILLE MONITOR August / September 2021
https://nfb.org//images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2108/bm2108tc.htm

At our chapter meetings we do our best to listen to the latest NFB
presidential Release. Due to the timing of our meetings and when the
presidential release is made available, we do not get to listen to the
latest release. Always. Please make time to listen to the Presidential
release to hear what is happening within the NFB movement.
The latest Presidential Release can be found at
https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases

Maryland minute message
The president of the NFB of Maryland sends out the Maryland minute message
on the last weekend of the month. The minute message contains all sort of
information about the NFB of Maryland happenings and movement. The minute
message can be found on the NFB of Maryland mailing lists, newsline, and on
the NFB of Maryland website under blog at http://nfbmd.org/blog

• Braille Monitor
https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/braille-monitor#main-co
ntent
The Braille Monitor is the flagship publication of the National Federation
of the Blind. It covers the events and activities of the NFB, addresses the
issues we face as blind people, and highlights our members.

Save These Dates:
•	September 18 – chapter annual picnic food from Region Ale, Waterloo
Park in Elkridge, MD
•	September 19 – 26, 2021 – Blind Cruising 2021, Carnival Pride,
Departing from Port of Baltimore
•	September 29, 2021 at 8pm eastern: Open House for perspective
members.
•	October 1 at noon – presidential release live
October 2 – NFBMD parents division Harry Potter event in Ellicott City for
Blind Equality month
•	October 3, 2021 – NFBMD Crab Feast, Parkville, Maryland
October 5 – Central Maryland chapter meeting virtual, LBDP Technology
•	October 9 NFBMD Central Maryland chapter walk around lake with Green
Drop in Columbia, MD for Blind Equality Month
•	November 2 – Central Maryland chapter meeting
•	November 12 – 14, 2021 – NFB of Maryland 55th Annual Convention,
Baltimore, Maryland
•	December 7 – Central Maryland chapter meeting – chapter elections
•	-	December 8 at 8pm eastern: Open House for perspective
members.
Graham Mehl
blind at trailstone.com
NFB Central Maryland Chapter, President
NFB of Maryland Website and Technology Committee member
LCB graduate, 2016