[Cinci-nfb] August meeting minutes

Deanna Lewis deannakay03 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 00:31:15 UTC 2014

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF CINCINNATI

Meeting minutes for August 18th, 2014

1. The August 18th meeting of the Cincinnati Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind was called to order by President, Deborah Kendrick at 6:00PM at Washington Platform Restaurant. The following were present: Deborah Kendrick, Marianne Denning, Deanna Lewis, Emily Pennington, Lillie Pennington, Kim McEachirn, Lisa Hall, Bob Marquardt, Bill Innis, Karren Innis, Joy Thomas, Chris Sabine, Jim Tudor, Sheri Albers, and Jessie McDaniel.

2. The meeting began with Introductions, followed by a few announcements. There is now a Cincinnati Chapter listserve, so that members can communicate easily via email. If you are not already on the list, please let Deborah know.

3. Emily Pennington moved that the July meeting minutes be approved, as emailed. Lillie Pennington seconded. The motion passed and the minutes were approved.

4. The treasurer reported the following balances:

Checking: $3,728.22

Senior’s: $40.68

Income: $144.00

·       $42.00 for the auction items

·       $2.00 for members not being clad with NFB insignia

·       $100.00 from the picnic cost

Expenses: $50.47

·       $35.47 reimbursement to the Dressell’s for picnic supplies

·       $15 reimbursement to Mr. Pennington for the Starbucks gift card

Emily Pennington will do some research about starting a new CD.

Marianne Denning made a motion that the Treasurer’s report be approved, and Lillie Pennington seconded; the motion passed.

5. The Auction took place with the following items:

A. Kim McEachirn brought in a Stonewave microwave cooker, with a 9 page Braille recipe book. Deborah won this auction with a bid of $10.00.

B. Lisa Hall offered a $15.00 gift card to Starbucks. Jim Tudor won this auction with a bid of $12.00.

6. Committee Reports

A. Recreation: Karren Innis reported that the picnic on August 9th was a success. There were approximately 22-24 people in attendance. Bob Marquardt was able to provide a lot of the transportation.

Deborah followed up with Arnold’s. A motion was made by Chris Sabine that we have our Christmas Party at Arnold’s courtyard on December 17th. Jim Tudor seconded and the motion passed. More information about menus and pricing will be coming soon.

B. Fundraising: Marianne Denning reported on the success of the Braille-a-thon. We raised a total of $664.30, and donated half of the proceeds ($332. 15) to the Ohio Bell program. The committee plans on having another Braille-a-thon next year. Lisa Hall won the prize for raising the most money, and Aleeha Dudley won the prize for reading the most Braille pages. They each won a $25 Target gift card.

The committee is planning a Yard Sale on September 6th, from 9:00 AM-2:00 PM at Clovernook Center for the Blind. We are currently looking for donations and people to help out with the Yard Sale.

Marianne mentioned renting a U-Haul to transport donations, the cost would be $20 for the day, and $1.00 per mile. It was agreed upon by the chapter that this option was too expensive.

Lillie Pennington moved that the chapter also have a Bake Sale as part of the event. Emily Pennington seconded and the motion passed.

Sheri Albers reminded everyone that we will need volunteers to help run the tables at the Yard Sale. All items that are not sold at the Yard Sale will be donated to a nearby St. Vincent de Paul. We urge everyone to spread the word about the Yard Sale to family, friends, and co-workers. Please price your items to sell.

Marianne made a motion that the money from the Yard Sale go to help first time state Convention attendees. Jim Tudor seconded, and the motion passed.

C. Membership: Deanna briefly reported that the Membership committee will be having a call on Friday, August 22nd.

7. The Great Miami Rowing Center demonstration will take place on September, 13th, from 1:00-4:00 PM. The following would like to attend: Chis Sabine, Joy Thomas, Marianne Denning, Kim McEachirn, Deanna Lewis, Lisa Hall, and Bob Marquardt. Bob Marquardt mentioned that he is able to transport some people to Hamilton. Marianne Denning is going to talk to her husband, Paul to see if he may also be able to provide transportation. Chris Sabine recommended that people meet up with either Bob Marquardt or Paul Denning in North College Hill or Green Hills since those areas are closer to Hamilton.  Deborah will also be sending an invitation to people who work at Cincinnati Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired.

8. Deborah reminded everyone of the Beatles Gala at our NFB State Convention, with guest of honor Art Schreiber. Mr Schreiber will be speaking on Friday, October 31st; there will also be a silent auction and a local Beatles cover band.

The Convention will be at the Holiday Inn located in Worthington from October 31st to November 2nd. Our National Rep this year will be Dr. Marc Maurer, former NFB National President.

9. Deborah mentioned the 75 in 75 NFB National campaign. The goal is to start and/or strengthen 75 chapters or divisions in 75 days. The campaign starts on September 2nd, and runs until November 16th (the day of the 75th Anniversary of the NFB).

The Ohio affiliate is working on starting a Chapter in the Akron/Canton area, and strengthening the Columbus Chapter.

Bob Marquardt mentioned that there is also interest in starting a Butler County Chapter. Deborah would like to see the Cincinnati Chapter grow stronger as well. Chris Sabine asked about a Chapter in Warren County, and it was suggested that he contact Eric Duffy, the state President.

10. President Obama signed and congress passed the Workforce Integration Law. This law will help to integrate people with disabilities into the workplace.

In addition, OOD (Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities) has created a task force, which Deborah Kendrick and JW Smith are serving on, along with others who are blind and/or deaf. They will be writing up a report that must be completed by December 15th. Please send in your thoughts and suggestions on how to make a workplace more accessible to either JW Smith or Deborah Kendrick.

Sheri mentioned she would like to see BSVI pay for further education beyond a Bachelor’s Degree.

Deborah would like to see those who are successfully employed work with current job seekers.

11. White cane walk: Deborah is currently working with John Mitchell (CEO of CABVI) and Chris Faust (CEO of Clovernook) in planning this event. The event will take place on October 15th, 2014. Sheri Albers has reserved a space on Fountain Square for our group. A possible fundraising idea was mentioned, but the President indicated that the White Cane Walk has primarily been an awareness event. Since we are collaborating this event with CABVI and Clovernook Center, conducting a fundraiser would be inappropriate at this time. The purpose of the white cane walk is to show our sighted peers how independent we are. Thus, it is very important that we show this by using our white canes (or guide dogs) independently. If you would like to help out with the event, please contact Deborah.

12. The meeting was adjourned at 7:18 PM, with the next meeting scheduled on Monday, September 22nd at 6:00 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Deanna Lewis, Secretary