[Cinci-nfb] Need readers that can work with documents remotely (by email or fax)

Christopher Sabine, ONH Consulting info at onhconsulting.com
Fri May 15 00:54:37 UTC 2015

Deborah. I am and have received reader services from CABVI for many, many
years (go back to when Sally Roberts ran the service from the Masonic Temple
Building Downtown and PTP had just been established before she left and
CABVI took over in 2000). I spoke with Jennifer Holiday at CABVI about this
a while ago, who is in charge of their volunteer services program which
includes one-on-one readers. The challenge is that I need the reader on an
"as needed" basis as I don't get bills from sales prospects every day.
However, when I do, I typically need them to call me and read (or at least
respond) the same day. If PTP had a way I could send them a bill copy,
include what I need in a message body and have them leave a recording of
their response in my voice mail inbox on their system, that would be
perfect.

Be My Eyes wouldn't work, as the invoices I usually get have multiple pages,
the text quality is typically degraded, and as Deborah mentioned, getting a
reader to respond is a crap shoot at best. A lot of the sighted volunteers
of Be My Eyes are International, so gathering the information I need in
context would be difficult and possibly unreliable. Be My Eyes is great for
applications like reading a label on a can of foodor having a scene
described, but not for this.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Chris.

Thanks so much for all of your responses.

Chris.