[Cinci-nfb] Facebook page is now live

Christopher Sabine, ONH Consulting info at onhconsulting.com
Tue Nov 3 22:34:31 UTC 2015

Jessie and all.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I do apologize if I ruffled any feathers regarding the Facebook page. I agree with you that if the Facebook page needs to be viable and serve its purpose of attracting new members (the initial purpose of that page as the membership committee conceived it initially), it needs to be visually appealing and also informative concerning different events in our chapter.

What you are proposing is a public Group, and I really don’t see why we can’t set up a public group either in addition to or in place of the current page—if that is the consensus. We can even take down the current page and create a group. The NFB Community Service Division has a public group. My concern with the public group is that from my prospective as a co-moderator of a closed group, pages and groups have totally different purposes. A group is a general discussion forum that is moderated and can either be public or private. On the other hand, a page basically is like a sign on the window of a business—advertising our presence to the general public and current events of the chapter.

Our thoughts about the page is that it would be a venue for sharing information about dates and times of meetings and events like the White Cane Walk, Christmas Party, etc.—not a discussion forum. Other state and local chapters—like the NFB of Greater Louisville and quite a few state Chapters—have such pages. There is also no reason why anyone in the chapter can’t be an admin on a page, which is why we need to have a meeting to discuss the structure of the page and / or our Facebook presence in general, I think. I have no intentions of being any kind of sole administrator of a chapter group.

Jessie, if you are interested in becoming part of the Membership Committee, go ahead. I certainly encourage you to do so. Your feedback is very important to me and the rest of the chapter

Again, I have times open for a conference to discuss the Facebook Page next Monday or Tuesday evenings—both 7:00 PM are best for both days. Deborah, I also propose we contact the President of the NFB of Greater Louisville or someone from that chapter and invite them to our conference to share their experience setting up the page.

Again, This was a project that Membership has been discussing for over six months now, and I’m sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

Very Best,

Chris