[Cinci-nfb] To disclose or not disclose (was) In case you want the whole "blind barber" storyFW: [DGV] Blind barber gets his cut

Deborah Kendrick dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 13 00:12:53 UTC 2015

Hi Chris,

To disclose or not disclose is one of those age-old questions in the blindness and employment arena.

I know Chuck from Clovernook and have tremendous respect for the wonderful work he has done over the years.

That said, I have always been on the other side of the “to disclose or not disclose” debate.

In my experience, things have always gone more smoothly if I just show up.  They see when they meet me and my cane or dog that I am blind, but that instant recognition is better than giving them plenty of time to conjure up a host of misconceptions.

I do agree that once you are in their face, so to speak, being the first one to mention your blindness is a good thing.

By talking about it right away – making jokes if appropriate to the moment – you can quickly dispel a lot of stereotypes and put them at ease.

My first job interview in the big wide world was at a television station in Toledo.  I was 20.  I was pretty much promised an entry level job in news operations over the phone.  This decision was based on my writing samples, my grade transcripts, and my recommendation letters from professors.  Not to mention the phone interview itself.

When I showed up with my guide dog, everything went up in smoke.  Instead of an interview, I was insulted by a barrage of questions and that blunt accusation that I could not have possibly written my cover letter or writing samples because a blind person, in the manager’s view, could not type.

I was too young and too stunned to know how to respond.

I learned a lot that day and while I still would not tell him beforehand that I’m blind, I would definitely address blindness asap upon our meeting one another.

Just my 3 cents, as they say!!

Peace,

Deborah