[Cinci-nfb] A personal question about access to health information in an emergency

Christopher Sabine, ONH Consulting info at onhconsulting.com
Tue Sep 8 00:59:29 UTC 2015

Hello all.

I have a fairly personal question that I realize might be better served
either through OhioTalk or one of the national lists, but here goes.

As some of you know, I've had to help my mom (who is sighted, BTW) through a
six month job search after she was let go from a store manager position in
February. Thanks to both our efforts, a district manager for one of the
major discount chains called her last week and extended an offer to manage a
store. The pay is significantly more than what she had been making at the
job where she was terminated.

Now for the question:  the job involves long hours, and there are possible
safety issues with the location and the kind of clientele and employees that
tend to work in these places. These kinds of issues are a given for anyone
in retail-particularly with the employees / clientele she'll be working
with.

If there was an incident at work and my mom was taken to the hospital
incapacitated, it's likely that I would be making decisions regarding her
care. I'd like to know if anyone has information on how local hospitals
would handle a request for a family member for information on a patient's
treatment / health records in an accessible format (either electronic or
Braille). I do understand that access to health records was discussed
briefly at Convention.

I'm particularly looking for any info on Christ Hospital and the University
Hospital System, as those are the two places Mom would likely go if anything
should happen. I'm especially concerned about accessing the information I
might need to make informed consent on mom's behalf.

This is something that I've been mulling over for months with my dad being
sick and some other family issues. I also realize that I could use KNFB
Reader in a Hospital ER to read documents in an absolute pinch, which would
be quite a testimonial for KNFB Reader.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.