[Cinci-nfb] August minutes

Deanna Lewis deannakay03 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 18:48:04 UTC 2015

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF CINCINNATI

Meeting minutes for August 29th, 2015

1.     The August 29th meeting of the Cincinnati Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind was called to order by President, Deborah Kendrick at 12:59 PM at Washington Platform Restaurant. The following were present: Deborah Kendrick, Deanna Lewis, Emily Pennington, Lillie Pennington, Lisa Hall, Kim McEachirn, Annie McEachirn Carson, Sheri Albers, Jessie McDaniel, Chris Sabine, David Carr, Judy Rudig, Bill Innis, Karren Innis, Paul Dressell, Bernie Dressell, Jim Tudor, Paul Jordan, Rachel Kuntz, Joy Thomas, and our newest Member, Charles Sanders. We also had two guests, Charles’ wife, Pamela and his step-son.

2.     The meeting started with a recording of J.W. Smith singing, “The Prayer,” followed by the introductions.

3.     We all read the NFB slogan aloud. Here it is for future reference:

4.     Minutes: Emily Pennington moved that the June minutes be approved as emailed. Lillie Pennington seconded and the motion passed.

5.     Emily Pennington read the Treasurer’s Report to the group.

Judy Rudig asked about the Seniors Account, which has maintained the same balance for a very long time. Paul Dressell mentioned that the Membership committee had discussed using these funds to visit our long-time member, Marian King.  Paul Dressell made a motion that the Seniors Account money be used to visit Marian King (for cab fare, etc.); Judy Rudig seconded and the motion passed.

Sheri Albers made a motion that the Treasurer’s report be approved as read. Rachel Kuntz seconded and the motion passed.

6.     Deborah reported on the National Convention, which 7 of our members attended. The NFB broke a Guinness World Record by creating a mosaic of umbrellas with the NFB logo and tagline, “Live the life you want.” There were 2,480 participants in this. Over 50 Ohioans attended this year’s National Convention, including our very own, Kaiti Shelton who was a National Scholarship winner. Many Convention sessions were recorded and can be listened to on the NFB website,  <http://www.nfb.org> www.nfb.org

Deborah also mentioned that you can still order NFB Whozit pins from the Independence Market for around $10-$15. You can also purchase the 75th Anniversary mugs as well.

Deborah urges all of our members to contact our local reps to ask them to sponsor the TIME Act, HR 188. Our local reps are; Brad Wenstrup, Steve Chabot, and John Boehner.

The NFBO State Convention will be from November 19th-22nd in Independence, OH (near Cleveland). The Board meeting will take place on Thursday night. There will be several workshops and exhibits of blindness related items.

The NFB of Ohio is holding the next Board Meeting on September, 26th in Columbus. This also happens to be the date of our next Cincinnati Chapter meeting.

7.     Meeting date conflicts: The next chapter meeting is scheduled for the same date as the NFBO Board meeting. Also, the November meeting would take place during Thanksgiving weekend. The November meeting can’t be moved up a week, because that conflicts with the State Convention.

Deborah suggested that for the September-November meetings that we go back to the 4th Monday of the month. Many people are unavailable on a weeknight for an in-person meeting. Emily Pennington moved that we have a conference call meeting for September, October, and November at 7:00 PM. Paul Jordan seconded and the motion passed.

8.     Chapter address for P.O. Box: Deborah reported on the information she found out about the P.O. Box. She will be going to the Post Office on Monday. The cost for the P.O. Box is $41 for 6 months. Chris Sabine moved that the chapter pay $82 for the P.O. Box for one year. Paul Dressell seconded, and the motion passed.

9.     State Convention transportation: We will be looking into possibilities for Transportation to the State Convention. So far, it looks like 12 of our members are interested in attending the convention. More details will be coming soon.

10.                      Paul and Bernie Dressell reported about their experience with the BELL Program this year. Six children attended, and many had participated in the program previously. There was a wide range of activities this year, and Paul and Bernie really enjoyed it.

11.                     Committee Reports:

A.    Recreation: Kim McEachirn gave the committee report this month.

·        The committee is working on scheduling a tour of Spring Grove Cemetery in early October. More details on this event will be coming soon.

·        The dinner and movie event was a big success, thank you to those who attended. Deanna Lewis is writing up thank you letters to the theatre and the restaurant. The committee talked about having another dinner and movie in March or April.

·        Some future activities that were discussed are a tour of a coffee factory and starting a book discussion group.

·        Judy Rudig reported on the Christmas Party. It will be on Saturday, December 12th from 1:00 PM -4:00 PM at Arnold’s Restaurant. We will be seated in the Courtyard area, and will have use of a piano. Menu choices include: Chicken and Waffles, Seared Salmon, Greek Deluxe Pasta, or a Hamburger and fries.

Drinks, coffee, alcohol, salads, and desserts will be extra. We may      also be able to order an appetizer of snack tray.

There will also be a gift exchange for those who are interested.

B.     Membership committee: Chris Sabine reported on the following items.

·        Movie event at Clovernook Center for the Blind on Friday, October 9th, starting at 4:30 PM. Participants will enjoy an audio described movie and there will also be a discussion about the NFB.

·        Planning a visit to Marian King.

·        The P.O. Box information was reported on earlier in the meeting.

C.     Meet the Blind Month committee: Sheri Albers reported on the following.

A recent issue has been mentioned in regards to Cincinnati Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired being a NAC (National Accreditation Council for Blind and Low Vision Services) accredited agency. As a whole, the NFB does not want to support any agencies that are NAC accredited. The NFB has a long history of issues with NAC.

Annie McEachirn Carson, who is a former CABVI employee, mentioned that NAC looks at the strengths and weaknesses of the organizations and comes up with ways to help them improve.

Deborah mentioned that John Mitchell, CEO of CABVI, did not know until recently about the issues with NFB and NAC. She also mentioned that CABVI participates in the White Cane Walk to support the NFB of Cincinnati. Our Chapter has had a very good relationship with CABVI for many years.

Annie McEachirn Carson moved that we continue to work with CABVI (for the time being) and proceed with the planning of the White Cane Walk. Joy Thomas seconded, and the motion passed.

·        The White Cane Walk will be taking place on Thursday, October 15th.

·        A combination Fundraising and awareness event will be taking place at the Family Dollar and Save-a-Lot shopping center on Harrison Ave. on Halloween (Oct. 31st). It will be a bake sale and we will also be passing out NFB Literature. It will start at 11:00 AM and run until 2:00 or 3:00 PM.

·        The committee is also working on planning a school presentation.

D.    The Fundraising Committee did not give a report this month.

E.     Deborah will be forming a small committee to work on the Chapter Gavel Report. Please email Deborah to report any advocacy work and activities you have done.

Deborah is also interested in hearing stories from members who have had airport discrimination issues.

12.                     Emily Pennington will be giving the Braille Monitor article report at our next meeting.

13.                     There were no auction items this month.

14.                     The meeting was adjourned at 3:02 PM with the next meeting scheduled via conference call on Monday, September 28th, 2015.

Respectfully submitted,

Deanna Lewis, Secretary

--
This email was Virus checked by UTM 9.  <http://www.sophos.com> http://www.sophos.com