[Cinci-nfb] online petition for accessible website

Rachel Kuntz rachelrkuntz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 18:38:16 UTC 2016

We have until Feb 11th to make our voices known about the need to implement
the regulations dealing with accessible websites. The Obama administration
has put potential regulations on hold until 2018. If we can gather 100,000
signatures asking for immediate consideration then the administration will
take another look at it. The online petition desperately needs 96,000
signatures. You and I care deeply about our ability to independently
navigate websites. We want to shop, research, and just enjoy the same
freedoms as those with sight have while spending time surfing the web.
Please take a few minutes to sign this online petition if you haven't
already done so. Once signed forward the link to your friends and loved ones
asking them to take action to help you in the fight. Email me at
rachelrkuntz at gmail.com or call me at 937-245-0547 if you would like
assistance.

The link to the petition is:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/direct-us-department-justice-promp
tly-release-ada-internet-regulations

The website has this to say about the petition:

We petition the Obama administration to:

Direct the U.S. Department of Justice to promptly release the ADA Internet
regulations

President Obama:

On the 20th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act, you said
that you would issue regulations implementing the requirement for accessible
websites, noting that they would be "the most important updates to the ADA
since its original enactment." You now say that the regulations won't come
out until 2018, after you leave office. But the need for these regulations
is now more urgent.

People with disabilities struggle to do everyday tasks such as banking,
purchasing goods, and more. Inaccessible websites also hinder our education
and employment. Website developers need guidance on how to comply with the
law. Failing to provide that guidance is irresponsible and inconsistent with
your commitment to civil rights. We demand that you issue the regulations
immediately.

Published Date: Jan 12, 2016

Action leads to change,

Rachel Kuntz