[Cinci-nfb] Book Club Invitation

Rachel Kuntz rachelrkuntz at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 18:12:34 UTC 2016

Count me in.

Rachel Kuntz

937 245-0547

From: Annie Edgerton McEachirn [mailto:annie.edgerton-mceachirn at twc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 10:23 PM
To: NFB of Ohio Cincinnati Chapter List
Cc: Rachel Kuntz
Subject: Book Club Invitation

All,

I would like to update you on the NFB book club.  The mini recreation
committee met in December and began to put together a plan.

Here’s the way it will work.  Each month a book will be selected and the
discussion will be led by a different person if the members approve of this
recommendation.  The book club will meet via monthly conference calls with
meeting in a designated home quarterly.  The meetings will be on the second
Thursday of each month beginning February 11th from 7:00 to 8:30 P.M.  The
first book to read (which will be led by me is ) “The Nightingale,” by
Kristin Hannah.  The weekend of February 5th, a question to ponder will be
emailed to book club members.

Just to peak your interest and hopefully, get you as excited as I am,
following is a brief summary of “The Nightingale”:

“In love we find out who we want to be. In war we find out who we are.
FRANCE, 1939 In the quiet village of Carriveau, Vianne Mauriac says goodbye
to her husband, Antoine, as he heads for the Front. She doesn't believe that
the Nazis will invade France...but invade they do, in droves of marching
soldiers, in caravans of trucks and tanks, in planes that fill the skies and
drop bombs upon the innocent. When a German captain requisitions Vianne's
home, she and her daughter must live with the enemy or lose everything.
Without food or money or hope, as danger escalates all around them, she is
forced to make one impossible choice after another to keep her family alive.
; Vianne's sister, Isabelle, is a rebellious eighteen-year-old girl,
searching for purpose with all the reckless passion of youth; While
thousands of Parisians march into the unknown terrors of war, she meets
Gäetan, a partisan who believes the French can fight the Nazis from within
France, and she falls in love as only the young can...completely; But when
he betrays her, Isabelle joins the Resistance and never looks back, risking
her life time and again to save others. With courage, grace and powerful
insight, bestselling author Kristin Hannah captures the epic panorama of
WWII and illuminates an intimate part of history seldom seen: the women's
war.; The Nightingale tells the stories of two sisters, separated by years
and experience, by ideals, passion and circumstance, each embarking on her
own dangerous path toward survival, love, and freedom in German-occupied,
war-torn France--a heartbreakingly beautiful novel that celebrates the
resilience of the human spirit and the durability of women.; It is a novel
for everyone, a novel for a lifetime.”

Please respond by January 15th if you are interested in committing at least
six months to reading books and developing new friendships.  We would like
to keep the book club with around 10 members; however, if more people are
interested, please let me know.  Each member is invited to participate in
every book discussion and will be encouraged (but not required) to select a
book to lead in a discussion.  It is not required to be a Cincinnati NFB
chapter member to join—anyone on this list is welcome.

Around Feb. 5th, you will be receiving an email from me.  Again, please
email me if you are interested in becoming a member of this book club.  I
will respond letting you know I received your email.  If you have any
questions, please call (919/602-9299) or email me.

For planning purposes, the deadline for obtaining a membership count is
January 15th; therefore, please respond as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Blessings and love,

Annie McEachirn Carson

Cell:  919/602-9299