[Cinci-nfb] important: volunteers are needed

Elif Emir Öksüz filerime at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 16:41:57 UTC 2016

Hello Cincinnati fellow Federationists,
In our last chapter meeting I talked about an academic study that I am
conducting at the University of Cincinnati co-operated by CSI
International Honor Society of Counselors and Counselor Educators. .
This study focuses on training counselors on how to counsel people
with visual impairments from a multicultural perspective. I would like
to create an understanding that people with visual impairments may
need counseling beyond rehabilitation counseling like all other
people, and counselors need to respond this demand by focusing on the
whole human identity, not just disability.
I will train school and mental health counselors. This training also
aims to create a dialog between NFB Cincinnati and UC counseling
department. This poster presentation will be presented in the largest
counseling annual conference at American Counseling Association
Conference and Expo in Montreal.

A 30-minute panel discussion will take place at the end. I need 2 or 3
volunteers for this panel discussion.

I am looking for people who have past positive and negative counseling
experiences. You do not have to be the client. You may be in a meeting
with your child’s counselor or something similar. This counseling
experience has to be something different than rehabilitation
counseling, and should not be mainly focusing on acceptance of or
adjustment to disability.
It may require some level of self- disclosure but you will not be
asked to explain all your life story and secrets. You should be
comfortable about talking about your story and public speaking.
I believe This is a great advocacy opportunity for blind community,
and I need your help.
If you consider being a panelist please reach out me from
filerime at gmail.com
or
513 617 0479
Until this Friday, January 29.
The training will be held on Friday, March 11th between 3 and 5pm at
the UC main campus. The actual panel will take place through the end
probably after 4pm.
I do not have a sponsor, so I am not able to offer any incentives.
If you live within 5 miles of the UC campus, I may try to help with
transportation.
This is a huge opportunity, and this project will not happen without
you. If you want to come but the time is not convenient for you,
please let me know. If I will not have anybody, I have to reschedule
it.
Thanks
Below you will see the accepted and online published poster abstract.

Enhancing Counseling Competencies through CSI & National Federation of
the Blind Chapter Dialogue
Elif Emir Oksuz Michael Brubaker
Theme: Enhancing Counselor Community Engagement through Professional Advocacy

You don’t need to be a rehabilitation counselor to have a blind
client. Are you multiculturally competent? This presentation describes
a counselor community engagement event between the University of
Cincinnati’s CSI chapter and the NFB Cincinnati chapter.  Myths and
facts, attitudes, values, beliefs, and biases were discussed.
Following this event, attendees provided feedback regarding the
effects of this event on their multicultural & social justice
counseling competencies.

The University of Cincinnati CSI chapter collaborated with National
Federation of the Blind Cincinnati chapter for further understanding
of blind community and how to best provide counseling services. This
event provided a rich opportunity for counselors and trainees to gain
self-awareness, better understand community needs, and build
relationships for future referrals. In addition, the gathering
established an introduction to members of the blind community for
future counselor community engagement opportunities. The event was
free and open to nonmember helping professionals. In addition to the
structured dialogue, the event included materials targeted audiences’
attitudes, believes and knowledge about this specific community for
skill development and advocacy steps. This poster presentation will
include some of these event materials and the results of survey data
evaluating the impact of the counselor community engagement event on
chapter members, the whole chapter and attending community members.
Conference participants can benefit from this poster as they enrich
their knowledge about the blind community. Presenting this poster is
an advocacy effort of the UC CSI chapter on behalf of blind community,
making blind people and their specific needs and expectations visible
among counselors and counselor trainees.