[Cinci-nfb] LaTerza Coffee Article for the Cincinnati NFB Chapter Facebook

Annie McEachirn annie.edgertonmceachirn at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 15:34:54 UTC 2016

A TOUR . AN EDUCATION . A STRATEGY FOR LIFE

by

Annie McEachirn Carson

The LaTerza Coffee Roasterie tour occurred on February 20, 2016 with
approximately ten attendees (nine NFB chapter members and one guest).  From
the planting of the seed to entering the coffee cup, the fascinating inner
workings of this micro-roasterie was presented to the group.

Upon entering this quaint coffee facility located in Lockland, Ohio, it was
apparent that David, the owner, had given a lot of thought and preparation
as to how to ensure we, persons with visual impairments, would have an
unforgettable experience.  Together with an additional tour guide, Aaron,
who was also a passionate coffee fan, lead us into a small, cozy room where
we sat to hear the intriguing history of coffee sourcing, roasting and its
delivery which David called the  "business pillars of his operation."  As we
listened we learn their sourcing involved identifying and working with small
farmers in second and third world countries.  The two fold purpose for this
approach is to purchase a high quality coffee while those countries, in
turn, use the income to build up their communities including their schools
and providing healthcare for their workers and families.

Absorbing every word, we were informed of the three primary regions (Africa,
Central South America and Indonesia) where the unique samples of the various
coffees we tasted came from.  While the African area's coffee had more of a
fruity, wine taste, Central South America, a chocolate, nutty flavor and
Indonesia, earthly, bold taste, everyone selected their favorite coffee to
go with their cake and pumpkin crisp (brought by NFB members)  which would
be enjoyed at the end of the tour.  Also, our tasting experience included
infused coffee tea brewed from dried coffee cherries called cascara which
was imported from Costa Rica.

Next, we went to the roasting area where we learn the two major methods of
processing coffee are air or gas drum roasting.  At LaTerza, the gas drum is
used because it allows for a small batch at a time as opposed to air
roasting in which the coffee is roasted in mass production.  We were given
the opportunity to touch the drum, listen to the movement of the coffee
spinning as it roasted, smell its aroma, hear it make the sound like popcorn
and, when finished, pour into the cooling tray as the fan pulled the hot air
from it.  When asked "how long does it take to roast a batch," David said,
"between ten and twenty minutes depending upon the temperature set;
generally, though, it varies-roasting is a marriage between science and
art."

After nearly everyone had left, I asked David what made his coffee roasterie
so special.  What he shared helped me to really understand why, I'm sure,
all of us had come away with a new appreciation for coffee and grateful for
having had this experience.  David said, "While our company's passion is
about roasting great coffee, I would have to say that my personal passion is
how do I do business to make the world a better place."  My ears perked up
and I leaned closer to hear more as he continued.  "From my interaction with
my sources, roasters, employees, customers, competitors, and my family, it
is my practice to strive to treat others the way I want to be treated.  We
work with the farmers to help them produce a high quality product; I give my
employees the necessary tools to do their jobs along with creating a warm
and positive work environment; I give my customers a high quality coffee at
a fair price; I encourage competitors since coffee is the second largest
world commodity; and I work with other business owners to encourage them to
have a healthy, balance family life.  It is very important that these
entities are given my best before I reward myself."  I left thinking, "to
put others first," what a profound principle to have as a family man and
business owner!

To find out additional information about scheduling group tours and/or
registering for coffee brewing classes, visit LaTerza coffee's website at
<mailto:david at laterzacoffee.com> laterzacoffee.com