[Cinci-nfb] Thinking of postponing Membership Committee meeting

Lisa Hall lhall007 at cinci.rr.com
Wed Oct 5 03:16:42 UTC 2016

Hi Chris and everyone on the membership committee,

I would echo the same that Paul says.

We can at least say that we have found someone who can assist us and
provide guidance in making NFB of Cincinnati visible and look good
overall. If we are going to reach out to new people all areas should be
consider: parents and teachers of blind children, blind students, the
elderly population who are losing vision now, etc. Whenever we lose
someone in our state whether it be a death, someone moving to another
state to start school, a new job, etc. every effort should be made in
recruiting more than one person to replace what is lost. We also need
to educate the medical professions such as ophthalmologist,
optometrist, nurses, and all other people in the social work field
about positive attitudes of blindness and what we can do to help all
blind people become the best they can be.

On a personal note, I am happy to report that on Monday, October 3,
2016, I receive a letter from National Federation of the Blind Jernigan
Institue Braille Certification Program that I have successfully passed
the Unified English Braille Proficiency Exam. Since 2004, I have been a
Braille Transcriber under the old code of English Braille American
Edition otherwise known as literary braille in the U.S. Now I will have
another credential added to my certification that I can transcribe any
literary material by following rules and guidelines written in the
Unified English Braille codebooks. Since I work for Clovernook Center
for the Blind, I primarily do braille proofreading in which my
responsibility is held accountable for any mistakes made by a
transcriber not following rules written. It is wonderful to have a
network of transcribers and proofreaders in this state and around the
country that can provide support when needed. If there is something we
are not knowledgeable in such areas like Nemeth or scientific notation
whether it be computer notation, chemistry notation, music notation, or
textbook formatting, every effort is made to contact National Braille
Association and/or California Transcribers and Educators for the Blind
and Visually Impaired to ask questions when in doubt. There is no such
thing as stupid question. I can now help others learn the UEB code to
become braille proofreader or transcriber to anyone who is blind or
sighted. There is a severe shortage of professionals in this area right
now. This course is rigorous and for those who are still transcribing
under the old code should think very seriously in upgrading their
skills. There are numerous ways to learn the new code. I will mention
some of the ways to anyone who is considering doing that. It can be
done and it's possible.

Have a great day everyone.

Sincerely,

Lisa Hall