[Cinci-nfb] News about me and news about you

Deborah Kendrick dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 2 18:02:49 UTC 2017

Hello Cincinnati NFB,
First, I regret not being with you at the bake sale today, which I feel
confident is succeeding brilliantly.
Secondly, I have several updates and bits of information to share, so am
writing you all this letter!
Nine months ago today, my world turned upside down. I was standing in my
bathroom when a sudden blow to my left thigh threw me instantly to the
floor. Not sure if I'd had an electric shock or a blow from a ten-pound
boulder, I dragged myself to the next room to call 911.
After three weeks in hospital, I flew to Florida. My intention was to spend
Christmas with family, help my daughter with her newborn twins, and come
back to Ohio in January.
As it turned out, I was in no shape to help her, her babies, or even myself.
Soon after Christmas, I developed a terrible case of bronchitis and
pneumonia.  The pain in my leg was horrific, but I thought maybe it was
caused by fever or maybe it was just what was to be expected after the
surgery I had had.
It turned out that my emergency surgery had failed and I was in worse peril
than ever. What followed was: More surgery. More hospitals. Tons of therapy
and seven months in a wheelchair.
I have learned much in these nine months. Mostly, lessons have focused on
gratitude -- gratitude for life itself and for simple kindnesses from
others.

What have I been doing all this time in the sunshine state?
Well, besides having surgeries, rehabilitation, learning to use a
wheelchair, then a walker, then a support cane, and to teach muscles that
weren't allowed to move for seven months how to fire up again, it has seemed
that I have been very busy.

I have continued to work.  My work for NLS Tech Support was never
interrupted, not even while in hospital. With a laptop and a phone, much
work can be done from anywhere - even a hospital bed!
The same is true of writing, although I did very little of that from
December through April, and picked up again with improved energy in May.

In July, because of the friendship and pep talk from a longtime Chicago
Federationist, I wound up going, at the last minute, to the NFB convention
in Orlando. I was only there for two days, but while there, I spent
treasured moments with Barbara and Bob Pierce, Eric and Lucas Duffy, and
others. An hour in the xhibit hall was like coming home!
My understanding is that an inaccurate report circulated after this that my
medical situation was declining.  This could not be further from reality.  I
am, essentially, a super healthy person with a very compromised leg and hip.
I will continue to be in physical therapy for some time and still walk very
slowly and carefully, but the convention was my last week of using the
wheelchair.

Throughout my time here, many Cincinnati chapter members have been in my
thoughts..
Lisa Hall carried forward, conducting most meetings from January through
August.
Judy Rudig called me on a frequent and regular basis, calls I came to
treasure more than I can say.
Christopher Sabine kept in touch on a regular basis, not only with chapter
business and getting approval of minutes, but also with personal concerns
such as helping me look for a new apartment and offering to reach out to NFB
members in Florida.
Paul Dressell continues to be my favorite computer student!
I am writing this today because I am finally returning to Cincinnati in the
very near future.
I have found an apartment in Hyde Park and will move in in September.

I am actually coming this week, in order to attend a baby shower for my
daughter, Caitlyn, who is currently in the area, working the Renaissance
Fair north of Cincinnati.  My apartment will not be ready for me to move in
until September 15.
I will need tons of help getting sorted out and settled!

So, that is a summary of what is going on with me.  Now, here are some
comments regarding upcoming chapter events.

First, I am thrilled to learn that Sheri and Walter are moving forward with
our White Cane Walk.  As you know, the project has been "my baby" so to
speak for a decade now, and I am truly happy that it is going to happen.  My
hope is that, after ten years, it will be easy to reproduce.  I will not be
able to attend, but will be pouring all positive thought into visions of
sunshine and scores of walkers!
Next, I will, however, be in attendance and presiding at our next chapter
meeting September 29, at the Washington Platform.

Finally, I have seen a few comments and received some information about a
t-shirt that is under consideration to represent eh chapter. I know I am
pointing out the obvious here, but feel it my duty to say that such a
project absolutely cannot occur without the image being sanctioned by NFB
leadership. Our national staff have put loads of time and treasure into
branding. We have words and images designed to represent us across the
nation and we cannot develop our own without approval.

We can talk about all of the above at the September meeting.  Let me remind
you  that, as a very few of you have recognized, I have been only a phone
call or text message away whether in a hospital, rehabilitation facility, or
my Florida home. I know you all have busy lives,