[Cinci-nfb] HB 309: Plan for next week in Columbus

Sheri Albers sheri.albers87 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 15:24:52 UTC 2018

Good morning,

I would like to give a shout out to Chris, Ed, Ali, Heather and anyone else
who contacted Senator Obhof's office since Wednesday. These were crucial
contacts to show that we are still here, and we will "stand our ground, and
we won't back down." (I was blasting Tom Petty in the car on the way back to
Cincinnati!)

What's next? I want to  wish you all a very Merry Christmas!

Then, on Wednesday, Mike and I will sit down with Senator Obhof's
Legislative staff to remind them that HB 309 has not met any opposition, and
that it needs to be put on the agenda for Thursday's Senate session. We were
able to get through the gate to this office, and we do not plan to leave
without a favorable outcome.

Thursday morning, we will be at the Rules and Reference Committee again, to
show our smiling faces, where we will get the agenda for the day's session.

What can you do? Because of the holiday, you can get started with flooding
Senator Obhof's office with emails of Season's Greetings  and urge him to
place HB 309 on the Senate session agenda.  See below the message to send to
the following email address: obhof at ohiosenate.gov
<mailto:obhof at ohiosenate.gov>

Dear Senator Obhof,

As President of the Senate, and Chair of the Senate Rules and Reference
Committee, I am contacting you in regards to HB 309. The National Federation
of the Blind of Ohio is in full support of this bill. This piece of
legislation would prohibit a person's blindness from being used to deny or
limit custody, parenting time, visitation, adoption, guardianship, or foster
caregiver regarding a minor. Again, we are in support of this legislation,
it should be noted that H.B. 309 has not faced any opposition during the
legislative process. Please support HB 309, and schedule it for vote before
the full Senate on Thursday, December 27, 2018.

On Wednesday, you can resume your phone calls to the office with the same
message at 614-466-7505.

Thank you very much, and we will keep you posted.

Sheri Albers, Vice President