[Cinci-nfb] ohio Braille Challenge 2018 is finally here.

Lisa Hall lhall007 at cinci.rr.com
Fri Mar 2 10:27:53 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

I wanted to write an email to say that today on March 2, 2018
Clovernook Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired is hosting our
2nd year of the Braille Challenge. At present there are approximately
32 participants who signed up for this competition. I hope that some
members in our area will have some time to help man the NFB table while
the competition is going on. The opening ceremony starts at 9:30 A.M.
and the first contest starts at 10:30 A.M. The last contest will end at
2:30 P.M. The younger kids finishes the competition first around 1:45
P.M. There will be activities for the kids while scorers and graders
are finishing going through all of the tests. We plan to have the
closing ceremony around 3:00 P.M. or 3:15 P.M.  We will announce the
winners and give out prizes for the kids. I will post the winners as
soon as I get it in writing when it is published.

The opening and closing ceremony will be in the main building in the
Community Room. The competition is held in the main building on both
floors of our facility. The hospitality will be in the Proctor Center
and that is where our NFB literatures will be available. Deanna Lewis
is in charge of the table.

Clovernook is located at 7000 Hamilton Avenue in Cincinnati, Ohio. Our
zip code is 45231.

I'm excited about the progress that is being made to change what it
means to be blind and be literate in braille. It is my hope that we can
increase the literacy rate back to what it was back in the 1960s.

I will be assisting Chris Faust in reading the mayor proclamation for
the Braille Challenge as well as leading in the pledge of Allegiance.
In addition I will be assisting proctors in the testing rooms on
electronic equipment for the audio portion of the contest. The Ohio
Library for the Blind loaned us 19 Victor Reader Streams to use in the contest.

Clovernook is working in cooperation with Braille Institute of America
that provides the tests for the kids. The results of the contest is
sent to Braille Institute. Last year we had 1 participant who was
invited to the National competition in Los Angeles, California in June 2017.

We will see if anyone gets invited to enter in the National Competition
in June 2018.

If you like to learn more about the Braille Challenge, go to
www.braillechallenge.org or www.clovernook.org. You can also find both
organizations on Facebook as well.

Stay tune for the results in a few weeks.

Sincerely,

Lisa Hall