[Cinci-nfb] Article from the Cincinnati Enquirer about possible ACCESS strike (concerning Cincinnati Paratransit System)

Christopher Sabine, ONH Consulting info at onhconsulting.com
Thu May 17 17:56:46 UTC 2018

Hello all. This might be critical information for a lot of us. This is just
a FYI at this point, as I’m not sure if the Cincinnati Chapter or the Ohio
Affiliate can necessarily be involved. ACCESS is Cincinnati’s Paratransit
System.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/2018/05/16/access-bus-drivers-done-fo
oling-around-threaten-strike/614979002/

Access bus drivers' "done fooling around, '' threaten strike

banner

Cincinnati.com

form

SUBSCRIBE NOW$0.99/1st month

form end

navigation region

list of 16 items

Cincinnati.com

HOME

NEWS

SPORTS

BUSINESS

THINGS TO DO

NKY

OBITUARIES

JOBS

XTRAS

USA TODAY

ARCHIVES

SUBSCRIBE

MORE

SEARCH

FIREFLY

list end

navigation region end

banner end

article

#

intent/tweet

shareArticle

'We're done fooling around:' Union leaders say bus drivers for disabled will
strike if they can't reach new contract terms

Randy Tucker,

rtucker at enquirer.comPublished 3:22 p.m. ET May 16, 2018 | Updated 5:30 p.m.
ET May 16, 2018

main region

complementary information

CINCpt_11-21-2016_Enquirer_1_A015~~2016~11~20~IMG_CINCpt_06-30-2016_En_1_1_P

Buy Photo

(Photo: The Enquirer/Liz Dufour)

complementary information end

CONNECT

TWEET

LINKEDIN

COMMENTEMAILMORE

Bus drivers who provide transit service for the disabled are threatening to
strike at the end of the month if they can't reach new contract terms.

A walkout would impact thousands of disabled riders in Greater Cincinnati
who use the Access service for people whose disabilities prevent them from
riding

Metro buses.

Troy Miller - head of the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 62, which
represents about 90 Access drivers - said his members are unhappy with the
wages and

benefits in their current contract with Dallas-based MV Transportation Inc.

Starting wages for Access drivers are $15 an hour.

"If we don't get a new contract soon, there's a pretty good chance we'll be
on strike. We're at that point now,'' Miller told members of the Southwest

Ohio Regional Transit Authority (SORTA) board Tuesday.

SORTA hired MV to provide bus service for disabled riders to supplement the
Metro bus system. And the agency has said it expects MV to fulfill its
contract,

which expires in February 2020, regardless of the outcome of the labor
negotiations.

Last year, 54 Access vehicles delivered 228,000 rides to about 2,700
disabled riders who qualify based on the Americans with Disabilities Act.

MV's contract with about 90 Access drivers and other employees expires May
31, according to Miller, who said his members are currently working under a

three-month contract extension.

There won't be another extension, Miller said: "We're done fooling around.''

An MV spokesman said the company "would get creative'' and fill positions
with replacement workers if they could not come to terms with Access
drivers.

"We would ensure that our passengers are able to get to where they need to
be,'' said Jeff Womack, vice president of communications for MV.

Miller implored SORTA members to intervene in contract talks between MV and
Local 627, which resumed Wednesday with the help of a federal mediator.

"I encourage you guys to say something to them to say this (new contract)
needs to happen,'' Miller told the board.

form

Join now

99¢ First Month

Subscribe Now

form end

CONNECT

TWEET

LINKEDIN

COMMENTEMAILMORE

main region end

complementary information

Share your feedback

to help improve our site experience!

FROM THE USA TODAY NETWORK

These sites are part of the USA TODAY NETWORK. Their content is produced
independently from our newsrooms.

MORE STORIES

list of 6 items

Marijuana program grader tossed personal notes

May 15, 2018, 5:23 p.m.

Judge could slow medical marijuana in Ohio

May 14, 2018, 10:13 a.m.

Report: Convergys in talks with buyers

May 11, 2018, 3:39 p.m.

Wow Air takes off

May 11, 2018, 10:47 a.m.

Businesses demand action on stalled Downtown site

May 8, 2018, 3:37 p.m.

Will more foreign CVG flights follow Wow Air?

May 8, 2018, 8:09 p.m.

list end

complementary information end

article end

616945002

619374002

form

creatives/01c3872ffb6be982ce26e9a07088d03f

99¢ for the First Month

creatives/3f1041b35a41fef254b1d6dc721066a8

Spring Sale On Now

Subscribe Today

form end