[Cinci-NFB] FW: Sharing from what's Hot off the Press

dkkendrick at earthlink.net dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 2 15:43:04 UTC 2020

From: kendrick.deborah at gmail.com <kendrick.deborah at gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 1:42 PM
To: dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Subject: FW: Sharing from what's Hot off the Press

From: kendrick.deborah at gmail.com <mailto:kendrick.deborah at gmail.com>  <kendrick.deborah at gmail.com <mailto:kendrick.deborah at gmail.com> >
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 1:34 PM
To: writersretreat at groups.io <mailto:writersretreat at groups.io>
Cc: kendrick.deborah at gmail.com <mailto:kendrick.deborah at gmail.com>
Subject: Sharing from what's Hot off the Press

Under that heading on the National Braille Press web site is my new book!

Here is a link

https://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/NAV-HEALTH.html?from_search=1

Or pasted below what I thought was most useful to share:

Picture of Navigating Healthcare When All They Can See Is that You Can't

Navigating Healthcare When All They Can See Is that You Can't

by Deborah Kendrick

Navigating our complicated health care system is essential for anyone interested in remaining healthy. If you happen to be blind, chances are you are familiar

with the misperception by others of what our blindness means. From technicians who try to help us take off our clothes in the dressing room to doctors

who shine lights in our prosthetic eyes, we have all dealt with this phenomenon at one point or another. This is not a book about Obamacare or Medicare

or any other sort of medical insurance. It is not a manual on choosing health care coverage plans. It is, rather, a look at how best to navigate those

health care situations when "all they can see is that you can't." Deborah Kendrick looks at various health care situations, physically and programmatically,

and explores which setting is most appropriate in given situations and what to expect when you get there. Sometimes, your strategies will involve techniques.

Sometimes, they will involve technology. Always, they will involve attitude — your own and the ones you help manifest in those whose job it is to provide

your health care.

Available in 1 braille volume or downloadable in Word, BRF, or Daisy text.

National Braille Press

list of 4 items

88 Saint Stephen Street

Boston, MA

02115-4312

888-965-8965

www.nbp.org <http://www.nbp.org>

Table of Contents

Medical Disclaimer

Introduction

Chapter 1: At the Doctor's Office

Concierge Medicine

The Office Visit

Those Pesky Medical Forms

On with the Show

Chapter 2: Outpatient Tests and Procedures

A Handful of Tests

What About the Dog

Surgery and Other Outpatient Procedures

Same-Day Surgery from a Blindness Perspective

Chapter 3: Emergencies

Calling 9-1-1

In the ER

Walk-in Clinics

Urgent Care Centers

Minute and Other Retail Clinics

Chapter 4: Hospital Stays

The Room with No View

Blindness According to You

A Word About Gratitude

Be an Advocate and Bring One

Blind but Intelligent

The Planned Hospital or Rehab Stay

Short-Term Rehabilitation

Chapter 5: For Blind Parents and Grandparents

Stay Close

Getting the Picture First

Not Just Children

Chapter 6: Managing Medications

Braille Labels

Measuring Meds

ScripTalk

Chapter 7: Using Technology to Narrow the Gap

Evaluating Your Future Doctor

WebMD

More Search Engine Tips

A Word About Forms and Patient Portals