[Cinci-NFB] FW: [Ohio-Talk] Ohio President's December remarks

Christopher Sabine info at onhconsulting.com
Wed Dec 15 18:05:34 UTC 2021

Please read.

From: Ohio-Talk <ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Richard Payne via Ohio-Talk
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 11:15 AM
To: 'NFB of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List' <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org>; rchpay7 at gmail.com
Cc: Richard Payne <rchpay7 at gmail.com>
Subject: [Ohio-Talk] Ohio President's December remarks

Happy Holiday's Ohio, Members and Friends,

I am wishing you all a wonderful and prosperous New Year to come! I am also grateful for the work we have accomplished in 2021. On behalf of me and the Vice President, thank you, thank you and thank you for your service!

It is very hard again to sit down and not mention the weather in Dayton which at the time that I am writing this email it is 60 degrees.  Who can possibly complain about that! However, I would also like to say that the recent storms that were reported across several states leaving a tremendous amount of damage really had an effect on my heart. I have a lot of family as I am sure that many of you do in neighboring areas. Please keep those who are affected by the devastating storms in your prayers and thoughts.

You know that I have maintained that this affiliate has a tremendous amount of talent. It is also reasonable to say that  we need to find a more effective way to develop and tap into the upcoming leaders in the movement.
As a whole, you can count on me pushing myself and current leaders to help to do our part to open opportunities for others to lead and collaborate with them in a way that will bring members along.

I would like to thank the legislative team for the challenging work and all of you who done what you could to see our legislation make it to the point that it has so far. But we can count on more work to come. Eric and the team has made it fairly easy! Nevertheless, getting laws changed can get very testy! So, hopefully we can celebrate the parental rights bill being part of the Ohio law very soon.

As we reflect on the work that was done over the last year, be aware that COVID has not left and in some cases, it is more aggressive. I urge everyone to stay safe and do your best to check on each other more than ever before.

You will find the 2022 NFBO State Committees and the team that will be attending the 2022 Washington Seminar in the body of this message.
Additionally, other vital information from the National Office is included as well.

Again, Happy Holidays and please have a Happy upcoming New Year!

2022 NFBO Committee appointments.

1: AWARDS COMMITTEE
Charge: To oversee the awards process, to provide information and feedback when necessary, and to make reasonable judgments about NFBO awards.

Annette Lutz, Chair
Jerry Purcell
Macy McClain

2: BELL COORDINATOR
Charge: To communicate and help with planning the inhouse bell program and to organize the bell Academy and plan efficient ways to promote and execute the important programs.

Eric Duffy, Coordinator

3: COMMUNITY SERVICE COMMITTEE
Charge: To educate the Ohio Affiliate about the professional and personal benefits of community service, to encourage chapters, divisions, and individuals to participate in projects in their communities, to encourage members to identify or develop and implement their own service projects, and to educate  the public about NFB philosophy and the skills and abilities blind people bring to community service

Cheryl E. Fields and Pat McPherson co-chairs Colleen Roth Candice Armstrong Barbara Mabry Susan Day Delcenia Brown  Michael Moore  Wanda Sloan  Maggie Stringer Joann Williams

4: CONSTITUTION  Committee
Charge: To make sure that all NFBO constitutions follow the state and national constitutions, both philosophically and rhetorically.

Barbara Pierce, Chair

5:RESOLUTIONS COMMITTEE
Charge: To oversee the submission process and to write and distribute clearly articulated and philosophically sound resolutions.

Todd Elzey, chair
Debbie Baker
Barbara Pierce
Macy McClain
Andra Stover

6: DEAF-BLIND Committee
Charge: To aid and provide information to those who are in this unique community and to serve as a vehicle to foster a positive relationship for the deaf-blind community.

Sharon Dodds , chair
Todd Elzey
Suzanne Turner
William Turner

7: EDUCATION COMMITTEE
Charge: To inform the president about policies, legislation, strategies, and initiatives in which NFBO should be engaged to improve educational opportunities for blind youth throughout the state.

Jordy Stringer, chair
Suzanne Turner
Debbie Baker
Annette Lutz
marianne denning
Caroline Karbowski

8: FINANCING THE MOVEMENT COMMITTEE including (SUN coordinator, Jernigan Fund coordinator, PAC coordinator)
Charge: To make members aware of these specific organizational fundraising opportunities and to implement strategies to increase participation.

Colleen Roth, chair
Annette Lutz

9: FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE
Charge: To investigate added opportunities to increase NFB-O resources and to implement effective fundraising strategies and programming.

Todd Elzey, chair
Delcenia Brown
marianne denning

10:  LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE
Charge: To increase the organization's visibility and effectiveness in the state legislature and to continue to support our efforts in Washington throughout the year.

Eric Duffy, chair
Jordy Stringer
Todd Elzey
Debbie Baker
Annette Lutz
William Turner
Andra Stover
Olivia Bump

11: MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE
Charge: To implement effective strategies to recruit and retain members and to reinvigorate the chapters and divisions of NFBO.

Carolyn Peters, chair
Maggie Stringer
Dianna Labiche
Kinshuk Tella
Pat McPherson
Dave Perry,
William Turner

12: PROMOTION AND PUBLICITY AND NEWSLINE COMMITTEE
Charge: To assist with updating the content on  the Newsline service, as well as, promoting and advertising NEWSLINE. Members on this committee should be proficient computer users.
To develop content and suggest creative ways to promote NFBO branding.
Responsibilities include research audience preferences and discover current trends, create engaging text, image and video content, design posts to sustain readers' curiosity and create buzz around current issues, stay up to date with changes in all social platforms ensuring maximum effectiveness, train leaders how to use social media in a cohesive and beneficial way.
, and oversee social media accounts.

Todd Elzey, Chair
Maggie Stringer
Macy McClain

13: SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
Charge: To conduct the affiliate scholarship program and to develop and implement effective strategies to increase the visibility of the program and increase participation.

Jordy Stringer, Chair
Kinshuk Tella
Jessica Stover

14: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee The charge for the committee is to provide education and training, guidance and advocacy where needed. Our diverse community includes, but is not limited to, the intersectionality of ability, age, religion, race, ethnicity, culture, gender identity or expression, and sexual orientation.

Christopher Sabine, chair
Emily Kiehl
Carolyn Peters
William Turner
Annette Anderson
Laurita Jones
Sheila Wilson
Masquenada Douglas

14: Employment Committee
To inform the president about policies, legislation, strategies, and initiatives on why NFBO should be involved to improve employment opportunities for blind persons throughout the state and beyond; the importance of holding various platforms on accessible technology, socializations skills, resume writing, career exploration and preparing employers for interviewing and hiring blind people; also prepare members for the National and various Career Fairs through, Learning about new employment resources. Networking and interviewing techniques; finally educating members on the significance on how to advocate for reasonable accommodations, rehabilitation services and other vital resources to aid one in being
productive and successful in obtaining and maintaining a career.

Suzanne Turner, Chair
Christopher Sabine
Andra Stover
Olivia Bump

I am so proud of those who have been chosen to attend this year's Washington Seminar in 2022. I understand that others wanted to attend, but because of social distance requirements, many limitations were imposed this year  due to the current health crisis. We will have a number of events hopefully in the new year and I will be looking forward to your attendance to serve in this capacity at the local and state levels.

The Ohio Representatives will be:
Richard Payne
Delcenia Brown
Eric Duffy
Todd Elzey
Kinshuk Tella
Emily Kiehl

News:
	2022 Washington Seminar Update:
	The 2022 Washington Seminar will take place from Monday, February 7, through Thursday, February 10, 2022, at the Holiday Inn Washington Capitol-National Mall. This is the same, familiar location at 550 C St., SW Washington, DC, that we have been going to for decades. As is tradition, the Great Gathering-In will take place that Monday, February 7, from 5:00 to
7:00 p.m., eastern, and meetings with your members of Congress will take place the following Tuesday, Wednesday, and for the states with more representatives, Thursday. Due to social-distancing requirements, we are allotting only a limited number of participants from each state affiliate, so we are referring members back to affiliate presidents to discuss participation in this year's seminar activities.
	For the 2022 Washington Seminar, we are taking four issues to Capitol Hill:
1.	Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 431/S. 212)
2.	Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 4853)
3.	Twenty-First Century Website and Application Accessibility Act
4.	Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act (H.R.
2373/S. 3238)

Those of you who are longtime Federation convention goers may recall our
1997 convention when we were last in New Orleans. We set our current in-person attendance record that year. Wouldn't you like to be part of the next attendance record? Mark your calendar for January 1 with a note to make your reservation for our triumphant return to normal-ish.
The Marriott New Orleans will serve as our headquarters hotel while right across the street is the Sheraton New Orleans providing the balance of our sleeping rooms and activity space. The hotels sit astride the storied Canal Street at 555 and 500 Canal Street respectively, only blocks from the mighty Mississippi River and even closer to the historic French Quarter. Both hotels offer a range of dining options as well as fitness centers. You'll find a rooftop pool at the Marriott while the Sheraton features a Starbuck's in its atrium lobby.
The nightly rate for both the Marriott and the Sheraton is $109 for singles and doubles. Triples and quads can be booked for $119 per night. In addition, the combined sales tax and tourism support rate is 16.2 percent, and there is a hotel occupancy fee of $3.00 per night. To book your room for the 2022 convention, call 1- 800-654-3990 after January 1. For each room, the hotel will take a deposit of the first night's room rate, taxes, and fees and will require a credit card or a personal check. If you use a credit card, the deposit will be charged against your card immediately. If a reservation is cancelled before Monday, June 1, 2022, half of the deposit will be returned. Refunds will not be issued for cancellations made beyond that date.
The 2022 convention of the National Federation of the Blind will be a truly exciting and memorable event, with an unparalleled program and rededication to the goals and work of our movement. The action begins on Tuesday, July 5 and will conclude on Sunday, July 10 when the gavel falls at the conclusion of the banquet. The agenda will again be chockfull of seminars, committee and division meetings, and other breakout sessions. Open to all, the National Federation of the Blind's Board of Directors will hold its annual meeting. General convention sessions will be filled with informative and inspirational presentations. And of course, attendees can look forward to exploring the exhibit hall and capping the week off with the banquet.

	Scholarship Applications Open-Share with Students Now:
	The National Federation of the Blind's annual scholarship program is the largest of its kind in the nation. Every year we award thousands of dollars to blind scholars across the country and provide them with a trip to national convention (and more!). The full application is due by March 31, 2022. Learn more and share this opportunity with students and families:
https://nfb.org/scholarships.

	Mark Your Calendar for the January Presidential Release:
	The January Presidential Release will take place January 4, 2021, at
8:00 p.m., eastern. The monthly Presidential Release provides important updates and perspectives of the organized blind movement, and the live event includes a Q&A session. Submit questions in advance to cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>  and put PR512 in the subject line, or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473. Zoom details coming soon.

	December Braille Monitor Available:
	The latest issue of the National Federation of the Blind flagship publication is now available. Read about the 2022 National Convention; diversity, equity, and inclusion; Blind Equality Achievement Month; and more stories from members. Access the Braille Monitor now <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2111/bm2111tc.htm> .

	Final Week to Request Santa or Winter Letter:
	The National Federation of the Blind works to get more Braille into the hands of blind and low-vision children. We are excited to provide the option for a Santa or Winter Celebration Braille letter, both in either English or Spanish. Each letter comes with a fun activity packet and a print version for the whole family to enjoy. Deadline for requests is December 17.
Request a Santa or a Winter Celebration letter today <https://nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives/santa-letters
/english-form> .

	More Braille Books from Our Partners, the American Action Fund:
	The American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults Braille Book Program provides blind children with a free Braille book every month from a popular children's reading series. Sign up for the program by December 15 to start getting the 2022 selection in January. Learn about the 2022 Braille Books Program and how to sign up <https://www.actionfund.org/programs/braille-books-program> .

	December 15 Seminar: A Guide to Accessible Devices:
	Join the National Federation of the Blind Center for Excellence in Nonvisual Accessibility and the Maryland Department of Disabilities on Wednesday, December 15, from 1:00-5:00 p.m., eastern, to learn about accessible smart speakers, Braille displays, smart-home devices, and accessible entertainment technology. Register for the December seminar today <https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/events
> .

	Independence Market - Products of the Month and Sale Items:
	Products of the Month:
*	Kenneth Jernigan Map of the United States - large, take-apart,
topographical puzzle map for learning about various geographical features of the United States - $250
*	Magnetic Checkers - portable magnetic checkers' board; easy to play
on-the-go - $22
*	Phase 10T Cards (Braille) - popular Phase 10 game with
Braille-labeled cards and play instructions - $15
*	UNOR Cards (NFB Braille Edition) - the classic UNO game with Braille
labeled cards - $10

	Sale and Close-out Items:
*	Shut the Box Math game - $10
*	Nine Men Morris game - $10
*	Solitaire and Fox and Geese game - $10
*	Cube clock - $5
*	Camera bag - $1
*	Egg separator - $1

Dates to Keep in Mind:
(All times eastern)
*	December 17: Deadline to request Santa or a Winter Celebration
Letter
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives/santa-letters
/english-form>
*	January 4: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
*	February 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
*	February 7: Great Gathering-In, 5:00 p.m.
*	February 7-10: Washington Seminar
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/>
*	March 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
*	March 31: Deadline to submit scholarship application
<https://nfb.org/scholarships>
*	July 5-10: National Convention, New Orleans

Richard Payne,  President
937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com <mailto:Rchpay7 at gmail.com> The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.