[Cinci-NFB] FW: [Ohio-Talk] State convention

Christopher Sabine info at onhconsulting.com
Tue Oct 12 14:18:24 UTC 2021

-----Original Message-----
From: Ohio-Talk <ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Richard Payne via Ohio-Talk
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 9:39 AM
To: 'NFB of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List' <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Richard Payne <rchpay7 at gmail.com>
Subject: [Ohio-Talk] State convention

Ohio,

I'm   Shure that a lot of you are  not included in this number do not wait
get it done here are the numbers at this time.

We currently have 115 that have registered for the convention, and 58 to vote I will send out the information a few times, but chapter and division leaders start asking our members if they have completed the very important task and either assist them or guide them to another leader.

October 24th is the final day for you to opt into voting at the Ohio State Convention. Please go to WWW.NFBOhio.ORG <http://WWW.NFBOhio.ORG>  and input your name, telephone number and email. Use the telephone number that you will cast your vote.

October 27, 2021 is the last date to register for the Ohio State Convention if you want to receive door prizes. Go to WWW.NFBOhio.ORG <http://WWW.NFBOhio.ORG>  to register. It is free. Also, if you would like to donate to the Ohio Affiliate, ten dollars will add your name into a pot for a drawing. The prize is $one hundred dollars. Every ten dollars will get you that many chances. If you donate thirty dollars, then your name will be put into the drawing three times.
Note: If you have already registered, please re-registered and add your donation, in order to capture your opportunity to win. The Affiliate apologizes for any inconvenience as we had to cancel the in-person convention.

Here is a message from our Door Prize Facilitator, Annette Lutz.

Good morning NFB Ohio family!
Yes, Convention is less than four weeks away. Four weeks from right now we will all be looking back on what I'm sure it will be a wonderful 75th convention. But some of us will be happier than others. That's because many folks will be winning door prizes. But, it is up to you how many people Will be feeling that exhilaration  Of having won a prize. We are still taking donations for door prizes. If you, your chapter or division, or anyone else you know, would like to donate a door prize, please let me know. You can email  or call me and let me know what you would like to donate. I am sure one of our lucky attendees is now just dreaming about what prize they could win. Remember, if you donate a prize, it will be your responsibility to get it to the winner. After convention I will let everybody who donated know who their lucky winner was and share their contact information with them so that a price can be sent.
Also, if you have not yet registered for convention, please do so by October
27 so that you can be on the list to be eligible to be a possible lucky winner yourself.
Thanks to all those who have already donated and for those who are planning to, and good luck to all. See you at convention.

	Blind Equality Achievement Month: Send in Your Events:
	Remember history. Advance equality. Celebrate accomplishments. The National Federation of the Blind celebrates the organized blind movement during the month of October. Chapters across the country organize local outreach events and many White Cane Awareness Day <https://nfb.org/programs-services/blind-equality-achievement-month/white-ca
ne-awareness-day>  Proclamations. Submit your events, activities, and
celebrations to web at nfb.org <mailto:web at nfb.org>  so they can be posted on nfb.org/blind-month <https://nfb.org/blind-month> .

News:
	Access Technology Affordability Act:
	We continue to make progress on the Access Technology Affordability Act on several fronts. H.R. 431 is now up to 114 cosponsors. The most recent House cosponsors are from Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Nevada, and New York, so special thanks to those affiliates. On the Senate side, S. 212 is up to
27 cosponsors, with the two most recent being Senator Amy Klobuchar (MN), the Chair of the Senate Committee on Rules and Administration, and Senator Catherine Cortez Masto (NV), who is a member of the Senate Finance Committee. Finally, the text of the Access Technology Affordability Act has been included in the reconciliation package currently moving through Congress, in Section 138519, starting on page 2339. Please keep up the good work and continue to build cosponsor support for the ATAA.

	NFB Training Centers-Understand Our Affiliated Training Programs and What Makes Them Different:
	This meeting, to be held Thursday, November 18, at 8:00 p.m., eastern, will be for NFB affiliate presidents to better understand the relationship between the NFB and its affiliated training centers, what makes those centers unique, and how you can best inform the work of those programs and help students get this training.

	Celebrate Blind Equality Achievement Month with Our Blind Students:
	Use the registration form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSecmriDvTsPgduC3xCXQ6vmP58gtlCDnAO
YeL4tBKdl7OMLvQ/viewform>  to sign up to join the National Association of Blind Students (NABS) on Saturday, October 16, at 8:00 p.m., eastern, for our virtual Blind Equality Achievement Month Trivia Fundraiser! The event will be a great night of friendly Federation competition and a celebration of the movement of the organized blind. Registration is a $5 donation to NABS. We will be giving a portion of the proceeds to the student division of the winning state. If the winning state does not have an active division, the funds will be gifted to the affiliate instead.

	October Presidential Release Available:
	The audio and streaming versions of the October Presidential Release are available now at https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases. The English and Spanish transcripts will be posted at the same link as soon as they are ready. The next presidential release is scheduled for November 1 at
8 p.m., eastern, via Zoom.

	Pearson:
	As a reminder, in 2020, the National Federation of the Blind engaged in a collaboration agreement with Pearson <https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-and-pearson-a
nnounce-agreement-promote-equal-access> . As a part of the agreement,
Pearson established a communication channel through which the NFB can alert Pearson to accessibility issues that blind students are experiencing. If you or your student encounter barriers with Pearson products this fall, please contact Valerie Yingling, legal program coordinator at the NFB, at vyingling at nfb.org <mailto:vyingling at nfb.org> .

	Where the Blind Work Webinar:
	This webinar is a panel discussion celebrating the work and workplace accomplishments of blind and low-vision people. On Thursday, October 14, at 8:00 p.m., eastern, hear about what a typical day looks like, discover elements that prepare for career success, learn about alternative techniques and strategies used to do these jobs, as well as how to advocate for accommodations on the job. Register for the webinar today <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=23101&qid=> .

	Upcoming Accessibility Seminar: iOS 15 and Android 12 Releases:
	Both iOS and Android have exciting new features, and the National Federation of the Blind Center of Excellence in Nonvisual Access <https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/traini
ngs/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration>  is covering them in an upcoming seminar. Come join us on October 13 from
1:00-5:00 p.m., eastern, via Zoom to learn about all the new features coming to iOS 15 and Android 12. Register today <https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/traini
ngs/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration> .

	Journal of Blindness Innovation and Research:
	Volume 11 number 2
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/jbir/jbir21/jbir1102tc.html>  of our Journal of Blindness Innovation and Research is now available. Articles included in this issue describe how sculpture can be used to teach concepts in the visual arts education of blind students, inexpensive and easily employed methods to make geographic instructional materials accessible, the perspectives of blind patients on their interactions with healthcare providers, and the perceptions of blind students in post-graduate distance learning in STEM fields.

	New Blog-On Blindness, Equality, and Achievement: Who Defines Us:
	Read the first blog of defining Blind Equality Achievement Month in the Voice of the Nation's Blind Blog, "On Blindness, Equality, and
Achievement: Who Defines Us
<https://nfb.org/blog/blindness-equality-and-achievement-who-defines-us> ,"
by President Mark Riccobono. New blog posts are published each Monday.

	October Braille Monitor Available:
	The latest issue of the National Federation of the Blind flagship publication is now available. Read more 2021 National Convention speeches, articles about raising expectations, and stories from members. Access the Braille Monitor now.
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2109/bm2109tc.htm>

	Independence Market Highlighted Items for October:
	Products of the Month:
*	Talking All-Purpose Thermometer - $35.00 - Digital talking
thermometer that can be used for cooking, candy making, gardening, and other hobbies.
*	Pot Clip for Talking Thermometer - $4.50 - To be used in conjunction
with the Talking All-Purpose Thermometer mentioned above. Handy for monitoring the temperature of liquids. Thermometer sold separately.
*	Braille Measuring Spoons (set of four) - $6.00 - Plastic measuring
spoons labeled in print and Braille; includes sizes of 1 tablespoon, 1 teaspoon, ½ teaspoon, and ¼ teaspoon.
*	Braille Measuring Cups (set of four) - $9.00 - Plastic measuring
cups labeled in print and Braille; includes sizes of 1 cup, ½ cup, 1/3 cup, and ¼ cup.

	Sale and Close-Out Items (Supplies Limited):
*	Solitaire and Fox and Geese Game - $10.00
*	Shut the Box Math Game - $10.00
*	Egg Separator - $1.00

Dates to Keep in Mind:
	(all times eastern)
*	October 14: Where the Blind Works Webinar
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/blind-month/2021_where_the_blind_work_web
inar> , 8:00 p.m.
*	October 15: White Cane Awareness Day
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/blind-month/2021_where_the_blind_work_web
inar>
*	November 1: Scholarship Program Applications Open
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-progr
am>
*	November 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
*	November 18: NFB Training Centers Meeting, 8:00 p.m.
*	December 2: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
July 5-10, 2022: National Convention, New Orleans

Richard Payne,  President
937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com <mailto:Rchpay7 at gmail.com> The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.