[Coagdu] {Disarmed} Fw: [NFB_Colorado_guide_dog_users] meeting minutes from 2/9/14

melissa R green graduate56 at juno.com
Sun Mar 9 05:57:42 UTC 2014

---- Original Message -----
From: Marty Rahn
To: NFB_Colorado_guide_dog_users at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2014 8:33 PM
Subject: [NFB_Colorado_guide_dog_users] meeting minutes from 2/9/14

Hi all,

Please find the minutes from our last meeting below. Thanks.

2-9-14

The meeting was called to order at 1:08 PM. People present were Marty,
Melissa, Beth, Becky and Daniel. Shon is participating in a race today and
will not be on the call. Andre Vanhall, Mike Hinkson and Penn Street were
all present as guests. The seminar is all set for May 31 at CCB. We have the
center for the day. We first began by discussing the food arrangements. The
committee was waiting on a date and will get together now that a date has
been set. Becky said that she contacted Guiding Eyes and hasn't heard
anything back from them about sending literature and other materials from
their school to give out at our seminar. Melissa has contacted Pilot, Leader
Dogs and The Guide Dog Foundation. GDF will send out a rep for our state
convention. Leader and Pilot said that they would both send literature. We
need to contact businnesses to see if they will donate door prizes. Mike
Hinkson asked if anyone had contacted GDB. Beth said that she had contacted
them but had not heard anything back yet. Andre said that he was the Alumni
association president for GDB and that he could help reach out to puppy
raising clubs and also alumni from GDB that are in the area. Penn suggested
that we have someone who can speak about the law and guide dogs come to do a
presentation at our seminar. Mike suggested that we create an agenda. We
talked about opening our access rights and law session to taxi drivers, RTD
drivers and others to help educate them on the law. Regarding the law and
our guides, Mike explained that there are requirements that state that
public transit agencies  must have someone for you to speak with upon your
request if you are having issues with someone at that company requesting
your ID which is not something they can legally request of you. He also said
that there was an airport service number for people with disabilities that
one can call to get help in resolving issues. We decided to put the topics
of transportation and also of the law into our agenda. Andre will see if he
can get someone from RTD to come and speak with us. Beth said that she would
try to get contacts from the taxi industry to come to our seminar. Regarding
format, we decided that we should have a pannel for the transportation piece
with up to 20 minutes for each person to present and then allow those people
to go out into the hall to talk further with individuals. It was also
suggested that we get someone from HUD to come and talk to us about laws
pertaining to guide dog users in the housing sector. We would also like to
have a tosic on getting a dog so that those considering getting a dog can
ask questions. Beth suggested breaking the seminar up into sessions for
those who are dog users and those who aren't. She stuggested splitting the
seminar into parts, with the first half dedicated to those looking into
getting a dog and the second half dedicated to topics that would   interest
the more exserienced dog user. It was suggested that a vetrinarian come to
talk about basic dog care also. Beth and Becky will help find a vet for this
purpose. We then moved to discussing how long each  topic should take. We
discussed having a general session in the morning, followed by lunch and
then breakout sessions in the afternoon. Our general session would be about
the laws, transportation, housing, etc. This would begin at 10:00 AM and
last until noon. At lunch, we talked about having discussion groups at each
table with at least one to two current guide dog users at each table to
answer questions from those who are looking into getting a dog. We also
discussed getting door prizes and creating some time in the agenda for
people to explore venders and exhibits. Penn said that she would be willing
to contact businnesses for door prizes. She also said that she would be
willing to put together the flyer for the event. The format of our seminar
is shaping up so that we will have a pannel discussing access rights,
transportation, etc in the monrning, a working lunch where we divide people
up into groups to discuss dog use, and then have breakout sessions in the
afternoon dealing with vetrinary care and other aspects of having a dog. We
decided that we needed to have people RSVP in order to get an accurate count
for lunch. We also decided to charge $5 for lunch, and also to have a table
for people to register for door prizes and join our division if they so
choose. Melissa will send out the tax letter statthe that we are a nonprofit
that is needed to request donations from businnesses out to people. We will
look at having a wrap up at the end complete with a big door prize to keep
people interested. Melissa then said that she was looking at setting us up
on a site called Amazon Smile. This is a site where when people shop and
pick us as their charity of choice, then we would get five percent of each
purchase. We further decided that we would focus solely on making our
seminar good and then concentrate on fundraising. Our next meeting will be
on March 2nd at 1:00 PM. We had a brief discussion about how people deal
with dogs in their neighborhoods that are off leash. The meeting was
adjourned at 2:35 PM.

Respectfully Submitted,

Marty Rahn, Secretary

Colorado Association of Guide Dog Users