[COAGDU] Colorado Association of Guide Dog Users

Kevan Worley Kevan at wefitwellness.com
Wed Jan 23 19:35:01 UTC 2019

Thanks, Ellie, as always for your enthusiastic response. With respect to confidentiality, you make a very good point. I will draft a flier which we can all use. That said, if members who do not have some kind of official relationship with folks would like to send me names or contact info I would be happy to receive it. There is always a balance. If I meet someone who has a guide dog at a picnic I don't mind turning a name and number over to our team. On the other hand, if there is an understanding that some confidentiality is in order we need to respect that and do our best to get the info into the hands of folks for mutual benefit.

I keep thinking I will walk in a race with Onyx. But, in that kind of crowd it is difficult to keep her on task. She could definitely keep up with the fastest walkers and slowest runners over several miles but I couldn't. Moreover, her guide work is below par when we travel in a crowd. I was at the women's march last Saturday. We were two thirds of the way to the back. It absolutely drove her crazy! She just wanted to plunge ahead through the crowd. When walking sighted guide with Senator Lee I had her on leash. No matter. She about ripped my left arm out of it's socket. She just gets distracted and hyper at events such as that.

I love the notion of some kind of shaded attended space for participants who need a space for their dogs. Perhaps we could get that sponsored by a school or some other provider. "The PetSmart Guide Dog Space." "The Fidelco Guide Dog Foundation Water Station"...

Anyway, I am down. I am in.

I think we should look at three major guide dog efforts this year.

  1.  Significant participation at 6 Dot Dash.
  2.  Some kind of outreach info event at State Convention.
  3.  Outreach to folks who have guide dogs. The intention would be to double our COAGDU membership by 2020.

[Kevan's signature]
Kevan Worley
303-929-2369