[Colorado-talk] FW: from the Desk of Scott LaBarre regarding NFBCO 54th Annual State Convention

Chris Foster cjfoster2000 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 16:27:06 UTC 2008

from the Desk of Scott LaBarre regarding NFBCO 54th Annual State
Convention

Greetings Fellow Federationists:

As you know our 54th Annual State Convention draws near and deadlines
are imminent.  However, there is still time to book your hotel room and
preregister for all convention events.

THE HOTEL

Our convention hotel is the Crowne Plaza in Colorado Springs at 2886 S.
Circle Drive, 80906.  Our room rates are $80.00 a night for singles and
doubles and $90.00 a night for triples and quads.  You can reserve your
room on line at
https://resweb.passkey.com:443/Resweb.do?mode=welcome_ei_new
<https://resweb.passkey.com:443/Resweb.do?mode=welcome_ei_new&eventID=74
372> &eventID=74372 or call 800 981-4012.  The hotel is reserving our
room block through this Friday, October 31st.

CONVENTION PREREGISTRATION STILL AVAILABLE

The easiest way to register for the Convention is to do so on line and
ahead of time.  Go to www.nfbco.org and follow the links on the main
page to preregister and secure your meal tickets.  You can save $30.00
by taking care of this ahead of time.  Preregistration will be open
through this Friday, October 31st.  Through Friday, prices are as
follows:  registration $10, Friday luncheon $15.00, Saturday's luncheon
$15.00, Saturday evening's banquet $30.00.  At the door, prices are as
follows:  registration $20.00, Friday's luncheon $20.00, Saturday's
luncheon $20.00, and Saturday evening's  banquet $40.00.

CHILD CARE AT CONVENTION

We will provide child care at the following times: Friday from 8:00 a.m.
through 5:00 p.m., Saturday from 8:45 a.m. through 5:00 p.m. and then
starting at 6:30 p.m. through the end of banquet, and Sunday morning
from 8:45 a.m. to adjournment of the convention which will be at 11:45
a.m.  Contact information has changed on childcare and even if you have
confirmed with Rene Harrell, please reconfirm with Lisa Bonderson.
Please contact Lisa at lbonderson at labarrelaw.com or call 303 504-5979
and tell Lisa the name/names of your child/children and whether they
will be in every session of childcare or only some.  Childcare is being
offered for free.  However, donations will kindly be accepted because it
is a substantial expense for the affiliate.

TRANSPORTATION FROM DENVER

There will be a bus leaving the Colorado Center for the Blind at 3:30
p.m. on Thursday, November 6th.  Another bus will leave the CCB on
Friday morning at 7:30 a.m.  All buses will return from  the Crowne
Plaza at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday November 9th back to the CCB.  Some folks
will be leaving later Friday and taking FREX down to the Springs.  We
will have a van available to and come pick up people at the FREX stop
closest to the hotel.  Contact Chris Foster at cfoster at nfbco.org or 303
635-6583 to learn details about FREX and to arrange your van pickup.
You also need to reserve your spot on the bus.  Contact Lisa Bonderson
at 303 504-5979 or lbonderson at labarrelaw.com to make the reservation.

OVERVIEW OF THE CONVENTION AGENDA AND ACTIVITIES

THURSDAY EVENING

We will kick off the Convention with a public Board Meeting of the NFB
of Colorado concentrating on leadership skills.  The board meeting will
begin with a pizza buffet and cash bar.  Please bring $10.00 to
participate in the pizza fest and let Lisa Bonderson know if you are
attending so that we can get a count.  Again, Lisa is at
lbonderson at labarrelaw.com or 303 504-5979.  The board meeting will go to
about 8:00 p.m. and then general hospitality will be available in that
same room with a cash bar until 10:00 p.m.

FRIDAY MORNING

The morning will begin with registration and the open market place for
exhibiters and convention sponsors at 8:00 a.m.  Our first plenary
session will begin at 10:00 a.m. and will run through the luncheon.
Agenda items include opening ceremonies, State Representative Mike
Merrifield, a panel presentation from Colorado DVR featuring Executive
Director Nancy Smith, a panel discussing the first meetings of the
Colorado Commission for the Blind, a panel presentation on adventure
activities and sports for the blind, a presentation from the NFBCO 2008
scholarship winners, a report from the Audio Information Network of
Colorado, the Honorable U.S. Congressman Doug Lamborn, a presentation
from Julie Reiskin, Executive Director of the Colorado Cross Disability
Coalition, and more.

FRIDAY AFTERNOON

There will be two main breakout sessions Friday afternoon from 2:00 p.m.
to approximately 5:00 p.m.  A technology seminar will focus on how the
blind can go "totally mobile" with assistive technology by using the
KNFB Reader, NFB Newsline, and other mobile devices.  Jim Gashel, Vice
President of Development for KNFB Reading Technologies, Jason Fayre of
Colorado DVR, a representative from Beyond Sight, and Curtis Chong,
President of the NFB in Computer Science, will be among the featured
speakers.

The second major breakout will concentrate on Social Security benefits
for the blind and vocational  rehabilitation.  This seminar will help
you learn how to get the most out of both systems.  A representative
from the Social Security Administration will be present.  Julia Zanon, a
Colorado DVR counselor, Julie Deden, Executive Director of the Colorado
Center for the Blind, and Curtis Chong, Director of Field Programs and
Access Technology for the Iowa Department for the blind, will all
provide sage advice on how best to work with voc rehab.

FRIDAY EVENING

We will have a wonderful hors d' oeuvre reception at 5:00 p.m. with a
cash bar, at which we will hear from some of our convention sponsors and
exhibitors.  The Resolutions committee will meet at 7:00 p.m.  The
Committee is chaired by Brent Batron and Tom Anderson.  Get your
resolutions to Brent Batron, bbatron at cocenter.org as soon as possible.
The rest of the evening will take up various hospitality events like the
Colorado Association of Blind Students "CABS Idol" contest where
Federationists will exhibit their talent in hopes of becoming the next
CABS Idol.  We are also told that the C. Springs chapter is planning a
carnival type event to liven up the atmosphere.

SATURDAY MORNING

We will meet in our second plenary session.  We will hear from our
National Representative, Mr. Parnell Diggs, who is a Member of the NFB
national Board of Directors as well as serving as President of the NFB
of South Carolina.  Parnell will bring us up to speed on the national
scene.  Our Colorado Center for the Blind will report on its twenty
years of success.  We will discuss our recent protests of the movie,
Blindness.  Diane McGeorge, President Emeritus, will discuss the
National Accreditation Council for Agencies Serving the Blind and
Visually Impaired and its effort to insert itself on the Colorado
blindness scene.  Curtis Chong and Jim Gashel will lead is in a
discussion about the future of technology for the blind.  They will
speculate wildly about what is on the horizon.  We will take up our
traditional panel of My Blindness, Myself where we hear from fellow
Federationists about the role of the NFB in their lives.  Chad Allen
from Envision America, our Titanium Sponsor,  will talk about products
his company offers to help the blind live more independent lives.  A
guest speaker will address us at lunch about the importance of giving
back to one's community.  Carrie Gilmer, President of the National
Organization of Parents of Blind Children, will bring us up to speed on
issues affecting our blind children.  Dr. Ken Schmidt from Colorado DVR
will talk to us about the Randolph-Sheppard Program in Colorado, recent
town hall meeting conducted by DVR, and DVR's financial crunch.  That
and more is on the slate for Saturday morning into our luncheon.

SATURDAY AFTERNOON

We will break out into four different sessions on Saturday afternoon.
The Colorado Association of Blind Students, the Colorado Organization of
Parents of Blind Children, the Colorado Organization of the Senior
Blind, and the Colorado Association Blind Merchants will all meet.

SATURDAY EVENING

We kick off the evening with a social hour at 6:00 p.m. and then we take
up our Annual Banquet at 7:00 p.m.  Our National Representative, Parnell
Diggs, will deliver a stirring keynote address; we will present NFBCO
2008 scholarships; present other awards, and otherwise have a great
time.  The banquet will be followed by entertainment and socializing.

SUNDAY MORNING

We will start Sunday morning with a Presidential Report and Town hall
Meeting.  That will be followed by our business session where we will
elect members of our board, adopt resolutions, and take up other
reports.  The Convention will adjourn no later than 11:47 a.m.

LIVE STREAMING

We will stream the Convention on the net.  The link will appear on our
website later next week.  Stay tuned.  By the way, if you wish to listen
to parts of last year's and the 2006 state convention, go to our
website, www.nfbco.org, and follow the links to listen to past
conventions.

DOOR PRIZES

All those who are registered for the convnention will be eligible to
receive wonderful door prizes.  If you wish to donate or get donated a
prize, contact our door prize chairman Jon Deden at
jon.deden at state.co.us and he will be happy to assist.

I look forward to seeing all of you at our 54th Annual State Convention.
Please feel free to contact me at slabarre at labarrelaw.com or 303
504-5979 with any questions.

Scott C. LaBarre, Esq.
President
NFB Colorado

LaBarre Law Offices P.C.
1660 South Albion Street, Ste. 918
Denver, Colorado 80222
303 504-5979 (voice)
303 757-3640 (fax)
slabarre at labarrelaw.com (e-mail)
www.labarrelaw.com (website)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may contain confidential and
privileged information. If you are not the designated recipient, you may
not read, copy, distribute or retain this message. If you received this
message in error, please notify the sender at 303) 504-5979 or
slabarre at labarrelaw.com, and destroy and delete it from your system.
This message and any attachments are covered by the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521.