[Colorado-talk] Check out the model of the proposed Commuterrail car for RTD's new lines

Eddie K. Thieszen-Culp eddie.culp at q.com
Tue May 31 23:35:00 UTC 2011

Greetings:

I was not privy to the conversation referenced below so hopefully my
information is not off based.

Generally if you are using public transportationand you are seated in the
"handicapped" seat and a person using a wheelchair boards then of course the
public transit operator will probably ask you to move and the expectation is
that you should move.  of course, this is a safety issue rather than
preference.  Also these spots are specifically designated for keeping items
with wheels stabilized such as strollers and wheelchairs.

of course it is my opinion that you should move as well because i do not
believe there needs to be a designated seat for a blind person on public
transportation.  However given the above situation, the person with a
disability who is not using a wheelchair technically does have the right to
request the public transit operator assist them in locating a seat.

However, lets say that public transit was completely full with strollers
whether they are disabled or not and a person using a wheelchair wants to
board, then the person using the wheelchair technically has to wait for the
next scheduled arrival just the same as a person using a stroler would have
to wait if it was full of people using wheelchairs.  for the matter, the
same as a person who is blind would have to wait if there were no availble
spaces on public transit.

How many times have we observed a person using a wheelchair having to wait
for the the next schedule  arrival because public transit is completely full
during rush hour.  if the person using a wheelchair had priority then the
public transit operator  should ask all of the patrons occupying the space
where the wheelchair is to travel and reside to to exit the bus.

of course as we know even though the regulation is in place human behavior
is not regulated.  so some drivers may think that because on a bus for
instance the person using a wheelchair may be a higher priority because
their are only two spaces.  also, a person using a stroller may choose to
remove their child, fold the stroller, and move to a different seat because
it is an option but technically they do not have to do so if they are
properly following the policy.

We also know that this is because people who do not have a disability often
believe that people who do have a disability are inferior.  for instance,
how many times have you observed a person using a stroller  fold the
stroller and move for another person using a stroller.  Also how many times
have you observed a strroller being able to wait in the aisle while in
transit and how many times have you observed a wheelchair being able to wait
in the aisle while in transit.

Generally in issues of transportation all disabilities are equal because the
service should inherently be equal.  this is true even for para transit
because once you qualify for the programthen you are eligible for all of its
services.

for instance, if para transit was completely full with people who are blind
and at the next pick up location a person using a wheelchair was scheduled
to board then the driver could not ask the people who are blind to vacate
the vehicle and give up their spot to the person using the wheelchair.  Now
of course, the operator could ask people to exit in order so that their can
be some maneuvering to best accomodate everyone.

Please remember that at Mile High Counseling and Vocation Services "we are
in business for your success".

Thank you,

Eddie K. Thieszen - Culp M.A., CRC, CVE
Vocational Expert / forensic Rehabilitation Consultant
Mile High Counseling and Vocation Services
9451 Welby Road
Thornton, CO. 80229
Phone: 720-244-9748
Fax:  303-280-4927