[Colorado-talk] ACCESS-A-CAB, CAB DRIVERS DESCRIMINIATING

Gary Van Dorn garyvdrn at msn.com
Sun Jan 15 23:19:14 UTC 2012

I reside in Alamo Placedia/Governor's Park; my neighborhood is next to Capitol Hill.  I wait barely ten minutes for a taxi when I call from my condo or from some businesses within the inner core.  I call Yellow.  I usually stay within the inner core of downtown and its surrounding neighborhoods.  The experience I gained in Denver is the farther you are away from downtown, the longer one waits for a taxi.  I would often wait a half hour to forty-five minutes when I lived in East Hampden Heights.

I learned a trick if downtown and I want a taxi.  I no longer call a taxi from a restaurant or business.  I walk to one of the hotels.  I work near the Marriott and there is a line of taxi's a half block long waiting.  The doorman or concierge provides assistance to hail a taxi.  I shake their hand with a couple bills in it.  These people remember me and respond quickly when I want a taxi or Super Shuttle.  I further tip my taxi driver for good service received.  There are taxi drivers downtown who remember me and the tip I give them.  I did learn there is a bar near downtown in which services take forever; the neighborhood is not the best either.

I do not use the voucher system discussed in this E-mail.  I do hear of others having problems obtaining taxi's who are sighted.  I do not know if there is de facto discrimination occurring.  The question I have is:  Are the people experiencing problems with obtaining taxi's who use the voucher system keeping detailed notes of their experiences, (i.e., dates, times, locations, name of driver, name of customer service rep, cab number, etc.)?  If so, we need to obtain this information from as many people as possible.  It is easier to show discrimination based upon objective documentation of experiences.  This documentation would help Scott a great deal.

I think the majority of the drivers are pleasant people; of course, tipping helps.

Gary