[Colorado-talk] Denver Art Museum Passport to Paris Tactile Tables

Gary Van Dorn garyvdrn at msn.com
Fri Nov 22 23:57:49 UTC 2013

We received the below information from Chandra Carney with the Denver Art Museaum.  I am passing it along to Colorado Talk.  I hope as many as possible are able to take advantage of this offer.

Denver Art Museum Passport to Paris Tactile Tables
Fri. Dec. 6 and Sun. Dec. 8
10:00am-1:00pm (drop in any time)
2nd floor Hamilton, in the Freight Elevator outside the Court to Café entrance
Does not include or require admission to the Passport to Paris show

*contact smccance at denverartmuseum.org for free admission to Tactile Tables including the permanent collection. Free admission to Passport to Paris available, please specify availability for timed entry.

Two rounds of Tactile Tables will highlight the themes and motifs of Court to Café, the main gallery in Passport to Paris. The Tactile Tables provide a multisensory experience of the art and culture featured, not only for our blind and low-vision visitors, but for all visitors and families who benefit from a hands-on experience. These tables are facilitated by specially trained docents. A sampling of the objects featured at the Passport to Paris Tactile Tables includes tactile interpretations of paintings in the show, including a tactile board showcasing the paint technique used in Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec's Jane Avril Leaving the Moulin Rouge, a reproduction lacy fichu neck accessory worn by women in paintings in the show, paired with two custom perfumes inspired by the immersive experience of the exhibitions. In addition, the DAM is excited to be partnering with a local art lover who recently graduated from the Colorado Center for the Blind, Melissa Fishburn, who will assist in facilitating the Tactile Tables and share her love for tactile art.

The exhibition also features audio transcripts in English and Spanish along with Braille and large print content guides in each of the three Passport to Paris galleries for complimentary use throughout the entire run.

Gary Van Dorn
President, Mile High NFBCO
Board Member, NFBCO