[Colorado-talk] Guided running techniques for blind grade-school kids

Randall Crosby randallcrosby1779 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 11 00:25:41 UTC 2014

I have been running all distances of races from 5K to full marathon (26.2
miles) as a blind person for the past 7 years or so.  I personally do not
recommend the method you described with the cane.  I, as most prefer to use
a cord, rope or tether that is very flexible of a length of about 18 inches.
The sighted guide runs with me side by side and as we run he/she tells me
about the course and any obstacles or hazards.  I tell my guides that the
most important thing is that they say "stop" if they have any doubt about
our safety.  I tell them its like the brakes on a car, better to know the
brakes than the accelerator when learning to drive.  Putting safety first
will make it much more fun & avoid injury.  The young age of this person
makes me wonder if she may need an older sighted guide for safety but maybe
not.  I have benefited a lot from running and being a runner, not just for
the health part but for the social, mental & emotional rewards it brings as
a by product.  I will be glad to answer any questions for the parents or
teachers involved.  I don't know about the volleyball but there is a game
specifically for blind athletes called goal ball and it is played locally at
a gym in boulder and it is very popular and is played as a team sport on the
state and national level as well. It is a combination of volleyball & soccer
in my opinion as a way to describe it best.
I will refer you to a local running expert of blind runners & sighted
guides, Deb Conley, email: deborahconley19 at gmail.com
She is sighted and is the pres of Lending Sight in Boulder.  She has been
committed to assisting blind runners of adult & youth age blind runners to
pursue their running dreams by matching them with sighted guides and by
arranging for their transportation to races all over Colorado.  She is an
accomplished runner and sighted guide as well.
For more info on goalball & many other sports & activities for blind persons
contact Jennifer Heilveil at the Boulder Rec Center.
heilveilj at bouldercolorado.gov

Randall Crosby
Randallcrosby1779 at comcast.net