[Colorado-talk] A-Line to DIA

Gary Van Dorn garyvdrn at msn.com
Sat Apr 23 03:38:33 UTC 2016

How exciting it was to take the A-Line to DIA after work this afternoon.  The wait in line was not long at all; albeit, the people assisting on the platform made it clear lines were long earlier in the day.  The line was rather long when I arrived back at Denver Union Station (DUS) around 7:30.  Expect long lines tomorrow.  There are some things you must note concerning the A-Line:
RTD is using tracks 1 and 2 for the A-Line departure and arrival at DUS.  RTD used Track 7 for the ADA demonstrations Tuesday.  RTD led many of us to believe they would use Track 7 for the A-Line at DUS.  I tried to confirm this and RTDs helpers could not confirm what track is permanent; their answers were contradictory.  RTD needs to clarify what tracks are permanent.
You may locate Track 1 directly west of DUS.
Getting to Track 2 is not as simple as using the LightRail.  You need to either enter the bus box by going down the escalator and then walking up the next set of stairs or taking the next elevators to get to Track 2.  Or, you walk over the tracks by using the pedestrian bridge.
I did not find Braille on any of the signs, and this may be due to the fact I was in a hurry this afternoon.
All stations, with the exceptions of DUS and DIA, have split platforms.  This means you must cross the tracks to get to the other side of the platform.  You cannot cross the commuter rail tracks like you can with LightRail.  There is a drop-off of four feet, and I am sure hitting the ground will hurt.  One must use ground level crossings.  We need to explore the stations to determine where these crossings are.
DUS has several tracks so its configuration is a different situation.  We can consider placing a written description of the tracks and how to get to them in another E-mail if appropriate.
The platform at DIA is one large wide piece of cement.  You can catch the train on the east or west side of the platform.
The ride to DIA is smooth and very quiet.  One will enjoy it immensely.
The train station at DIA is on the South side of the main terminal.
You will find a five story escalator at the north end of the station; I do not know where the elevators are yet.  However, the top of the escalator is at the security and baggage claim level of the Main terminal.
Contact me with any issues you encounter.  I will place your issues into a single E-mail to forward to RTD.

Gary Van Dorn
President, Mile High NFBCO
Board Member, NFBCO
Treasurer, NFBCO Sports & Recreation Division