[Colorado-talk] 34 Days to NFBCO Convention

Lisa Bonderson lbonderson at cocenter.org
Fri Sep 23 20:57:01 UTC 2016

Greetings Federation Friends and Family:

It is hard to believe that fall is upon us officially.  Kids are in school and the Broncos are back on the Grid Iron.  That also means that the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado State Convention must also be right around the corner, and it is indeed.

Our Convention takes places from Thursday, October 27th through Sunday, October 30th at the Marriott Denver South, not too far from the Park Meadows Mall.  I am pleased to announce that Shawn Callaway, a Member of the NFB Board of Directors, will serve as our National Representative this year.

We will kick off Thursday afternoon into evening with a chapter building seminar and legislative planning seminar.  We intend to make these sessions very interactive where, for example, you will have the opportunity to role play a meeting with a NFB Colorado Senator.  Also, Kevan Worley is cooking up a Mock Legislative Visit that will be much in the style of the National Association of Blind Lawyers' Mock Trial at National Convention.

Friday will begin with registration and total access to our exhibitors and sponsors followed by our Resolutions Committee Meeting.  Next comes our first general session which will incorporate our Annual Luncheon.  We are planning several exciting presentations from blind persons taking on interesting challenges, working jobs thought out of bounds for the blind, hearing from our new Blindness Unit at the Colorado Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, getting an update on our state library for the blind, and much more.  Friday afternoon will highlight several breakout sessions including a technology session, a seniors meeting, deaf-blind concerns, parents of blind children and more.

Saturday will begin with our Second General Session featuring our National Report, State Presidential Report, and reports from the Colorado Department of Education, our Braille Enrichment Learning and Literacy Program, a presentation of the life changing work at our Colorado Center for the Blind, and My Blindness Myself where members of the Federation tell their personal stories.  A box lunch will be served which you can then take to several different breakouts such as a Non-24 Sleep Seminar, the Colorado Association of Blind Students, the Sports and Recreation Division, the Merchants Division, the Guide Dog Division, and more.  Saturday concludes with our social hour and Annual Banquet where we will present special awards, our scholarships, and hear our keynote address from Mr. Callaway.

Sunday morning begins with a Chapter and Division Breakfast where we will hear reports from our chapters and divisions and share tips for building the Federation.  The last General Session will entertain additional inspirational stories about the Federation's activities and conclude with our business session.  As usual, the Convention will adjourn by 11:47 am.

The Convention Agenda will be out in early October, published both to our website and our email lists.  You must reserve your hotel room by October 13 and you can call 303-925-0004 or go to the following link to make your reservation.

Book your group rate for National Federation of the Blind <http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/group-corporate-travel/groupCorp.mi?resLinkData=National%20Federation%20of%20the%20Blind%5Edenms%60nfbnfba%6093.00%60USD%60false%601%6010/27/16%6010/30/16%6010/13/16&app=resvlink&stop_mobi=yes>
You must preregister for the Convention to save $25 dollars by going to
Convention Registration<http://www.nfbco.org/nfbco-state-convention-review/registration-for-nfbco-convention> and doing so by October 20.  If you have any trouble with your room reservation or preregistration, please call my office, 303-504-5979.

I look forward to seeing all of you very soon and go Broncos!

Scott LaBarre, President
NFB Colorado