[Colorado-talk] The R Line

Gary Van Dorn garyvdrn at msn.com
Mon Feb 27 12:32:35 UTC 2017

THE R LINE IS OPEN, THE R LINE IS OPEN … ALL ABOARD!!!  RTD opened the R Line from Peoria Station on the A Line to Lincoln Avenue Friday with much fanfare.  Hopefully, many of you took the opportunity to explore the R Line and its new stations from Illiff Avenue to Peoria Station this past weekend.  Going to and from DIA is much easier for those who can connect into the R Line; one must transfer to the A Line at Peoria Station.  RTD has information on the R Line at http://www.rtd-denver.com/r-line.shtml.

Taking the R Line from Peoria Station to Lincoln Avenue Station takes nearly an hour.  This may seem excessive, although the timing is appropriate.  The R Line operates at grade and uses the same traffic controls along many of the streets it follows from Peoria Station until after it turns from Exposition Avenue towards Florida Station.  We waited for a traffic light for a couple minutes near the Anschutz Campus and a minute on another street near Target (I did not get the cross street near the Target).  There were other locations we waited for the lights too.  It is fascinating to note that the LightRail tracks go down the center of Exposition Avenue for at least three blocks.

One interesting note is the hotel we had our NFBCO convention at is a half mile from Lincoln Station.  I used the LightRail to get there from Broadway Station and took the 0 home before and after convention.  There is also a new Kaiser Permanent facility across the street from the Lincoln Avenue Station.  The Medical Center of Aurora is also along the R Line.  I mentioned a Target above and there is also shopping near the Aurora Metro Center Station.

Enjoy the R Line and use it to Live the Life You Want to Live!

Gary Van Dorn
Vice-President, Mile High NFBCO
Board Member, NFBCO
Treasurer, NFBCO Sports & Recreation Division