[Colorado-talk] Jessica Beecham to give commencement address at the Colorado School for the Deaf and the

Cynthia Davis cdfiets at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 15:51:53 UTC 2018

Beautifully written,  Dan. Jessica and Brent have nurtured a very important relationship with the CSDB.

Cynthia

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 1, 2018, at 9:28 AM, Dan Burke via Colorado-Talk <colorado-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:

Everybody knows Jessica. Jessica is nothing if not fun, right?  Well,
today at 1 p.m. the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind (CSDB)
commencement will take place, and the commencement address will be
given by Jessica Beecham.

"It'll be fun," says Jessica.  She also says that her address will be
short, sweet and to the point.  "Eleven minutes," she says.

Let's face it, it really is an honor to be asked to give such an
address and a privilege to be asked to do so as a role model for the
graduates and their families.  But it is a culmination of the
determination by the NFB of Colorado and the CCB to develop a positive
relationship with CSDB that took the form of mentoring for blind kids
there. Shortly after coming to Colorado in 2012, Jessica and Brent
Batron began regular trips to the Springs for that purpose.  Though
Jessica's roles have changed since 2012, she still participates in
mentoring activities when she can.

"It's really special," she says of giving the address to this class of
graduating blind seniors. "some of the kids graduating were in middle
school when we started mentoring."

And for these students, the deaf and the blind, they're lucky to have
Jessica speaking to them today. She is an alum of the Tennessee School
for the Blind who went on to both a bachelor's and then a master's
degree. She's not just fun, but she's smart and committed and she
believes in their capabilities.

The love, hope and determination of the NFB of Colorado and ccB is
truly in evidence at CSDB today - Brent is a member of its Board of
Trustees and jessica is giving the commencement address.

"I'm so glad that we've been able to develop such great relationships
there," says Jessica.

Though she says it will be a short address, it will be  one imbued
with the positive philosophy that we in the Federation embrace, and it
will come with a challenge and advice. We won't give it all away, but
the advice is for today's graduates to surround themselves with others
who will help keep them on a positive path in their lives.

Kevan Worley said something like this yesterday in a Face Book post,
but let us extend this sentiment from all of us in the National
Federation of the Blind of Colorado to today's new graduates:

Congratulations seniors! May your path be paved with possibilities and
achievement. Blindness and deafness are not what hold you back. Go out
and live the lives you want

And we are here for you!

President, NFB of Denver

"Blindness is not what holds you back.  You can live the life you want!"

To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Colorado-Talk:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/colorado-talk_nfbnet.org/cdfiets%40gmail.com