[Colorado-talk] Blind Coloradoan Blog

Kevan Worley kevanworley at worleyenterprises.com
Fri Oct 12 19:25:42 UTC 2018

Here is what you need to know in brief.
We aren't promising a regular publication schedule, but, we are working with our social media and NFB Newsline teams to bring you greater access to more current information about items in which you may have interest. We will be finding a space on our website and in social media and we will be posting all of this information on NFB Newsline. We will also post on Colorado Talk and we will be developing other channels as we move forward. We will be in need of your announcements and any brief observations. Just send me a note and we will get started.
Although we have passed the deadline to reserve rooms at our state convention hotel, you should feel free to try anyway. I mean, what could it hurt? And, please, please register for the state convention. Be sure to come to the banquet. I know that Pam Allen, First Vice President National Federation of the Blind, will bring us a thoughtful and entertaining banquet address. So, go to https://www.nfbco.org/nfbco-state-convention-review/registration-for-nfbco-convention. You may also reach the ever-capable and all-around groovy person Lisa Bonderson, lkb at labarrelaw.com<mailto:lkb at labarrelaw.com>, or call 303-504-5979.
Did you know that resolutions passed at the state or national conventions of the National Federation of the Blind become the official policy statements which govern the organization? They point our way forward! What are the things the organized blind movement care about most? What changes will we commit resources to? If you have resolutions, drafts, or ideas for the committee to consider please contact Brent Batron or Dan Burke at 303-778-1130,  or email bbatron at cocenter.org<mailto:bbatron at cocenter.org> or dburke at cocenter.org<mailto:dburke at cocenter.org>.  Deadline October 20. Committee meets at State Convention Friday morning October 26.
Again, this year, NFBCO Sports and Rec Division will partner with WE Fit Wellness, the Anthem Foundation, and United States Association of Blind Athletes to bring the blind of Colorado the Fitness Challenge. Let's start counting those steps. We need to beat Missouri and Tennessee for sure. Start walking and contact Jessica Beecham for more information, jessica at wefitwellness.com<mailto:jessica at wefitwellness.com>.
>From the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation, Michele Reed writes: Pre-Employment Transition Services (PreETS) Fall Volunteer Activity, Wreaths Across America! At Fort Logan National Cemetery, Saturday, December 15, 2018 10am to 12pm. The Blind and Low Vision Services Unit has organized a volunteer activity with Colorado Association for the Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Low Vision as a work-based experience for students with vision loss.  Each December on National Wreaths Across America Day, the mission to Remember, Honor and Teach is carried out by coordinating wreath-laying ceremonies.  Volunteers will place wreaths on the graves of Veterans to thank them for their service. Please arrive at Fort Logan National Cemetery's Public Information Center (use main entrance off Sheridan Blvd.)  at 9:30 for orientation.  The address is 3698 S. Sheridan Blvd Denver 80235. Volunteer activities are free to students ages 15-21 who have been referred to DVR and determined eligible for Pre-Employment Transition Services. To register for this volunteer activity, contact Michele Reed at call 303-866-3512 or email at michele.reed at state.co.us<mailto:michele.reed at state.co.us>.
Razzle-Dazzle, Let's Do the Raffle. Come on y'all. We can sell raffle tickets all the way up until the banquet at State Convention. We have committed to have scholarship program, a BELL program. They must be funded. You can do it online. We can still get some tickets into your hands. Please act now. Buy tickets for yourself and sell them to everyone. https://www.nfbco.org/amazing-colorado-raffle. You can call Lorinda Riddle at the Colorado Center for the Blind for more dets. 303-778-1130.
The Great Escape! For those of us of a certain generation, it is a classic movie with an all-star cast, Steve McQueen, James Garner, Charles Bronson, Richard Attenborough, and James Coburn. For many, it is a much needed get away. But, for the Colorado Center for the Blind and the National Federation of the Blind it is Mission to Nocterra. A pitch-black puzzle room intended to put sighted and blind people on equal footing. As you walk in you are told about how we found this alien vessel containing examples of the Nocterran planet, who's sun emits all wavelengths but light. Each of the five walls inside has a unique puzzle to explore and solve. Each person gets one wall for themselves for the 10-minute allotted time. Check it out for yourself during the Friday night festivities at our upcoming State Convention.
State Convention Agenda on Newsline. As soon as possible after the agenda is posted, it will be up on NFB Newsline for you. So, let folks know they will be able to get it on NFB Newsline.
Colorado Center for the Blind Fall Newsletter is out. Find it on NFB Newsline and at https://www.nfbco.org/newsletters.
Happy Holidays? Well, the stores are already decked out. And, I have even heard a few Christmas songs. But, I don't know when your chapter and division holiday parties are. When and where will they be held? Send the info and we will get it out to everyone within the reach of the Blind Coloradoan Blog. And let me be the first to say Happy Holidays! After all, we believe the holiday season really kicks off with the convention of NFBCO.
And the Race is On! Planning is already underway for the 2019 National Federation of the Blind 6 Dot Dash 5K. Again, this year we'll be holding the event at the Colorado Center for the Blind. If you would like to be a part of the planning and the work reach out to me or Cody Bair at codyjbair at yahoo.com<mailto:codyjbair at yahoo.com>. Last year, we were thrilled to have Comcast serve as our Title Sponsor (The Future of Awesome.) Comcast will be honored at the upcoming convention (the kick off to the holiday season.). We will also offer appreciation to Colorado Business Enterprise Program and Southern Foodservice Management, Inc.
Build a Better Book. Well, here is another thing I didn't know. But, I will bet Brent Batron at the Colorado Center for the Blind does. From www.colorado.edu/project/bbb/<http://www.colorado.edu/project/bbb/>, "The Build a Better Book project works with school and library Makerspaces to engage youth in the design and fabrication of inclusive media, including picture books, games, and graphics. Using both low- and high-tech Makerspace tools, such as 3D printers, laser cutters, Makey Makeys, conductive boards, and craft materials youth design, fabricate, test, and refine multi-modal books, games, and STEM graphics that incorporate tactile and audio features. These products are designed by and for learners with visual impairments as well as other physical and learning disabilities. Through the project, middle and high school youth develop technology skills and learn about STEM careers as they design and create multi-modal picture books, graphics, and games that can be seen, touched, and heard!" And, of course, our own Colorado Center for the Blind is partnered up for this cool project. I am sure Brent has all the info.
And, Speaking of Books. I do hope you will be coming to our Project Literacy Reception to kick off the convention. All the info is already up on NFB Newsline. Let me know if you desire further information. There will be some special guests.
Thomas Wolfe may have said, "you can't go home again". Of course, we know what he meant. But, you can. On September 28-29 Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind celebrated Homecoming. New buildings dedicated. Alumni reunions. Tours. Football and Goalball. I am told the weekend was a success. Take that, Tom Wolfe!
A New Training Seminar Offered at This year's Convention. Please join Rob Harris, Maryann Migliorelli, Renee Anderson, among others, for our first Speakers' Bureau Workshop. Cost is only $10. It includes continental breakfast. Space is extremely limited so please RSVP to me. We will share some tips and tricks of presentation making over a cup of coffee and croissant. Please pass the croissant!
Well, that is all the time we have. Send comments, entries, criticisms, croissants to me. You know where I am. kevan at wefitwellness.com<mailto:kevan at wefitwellness.com>, 303-527-0488 ext. 14.
Forward, always forward!
P.S. Did you know that if you brought someone to the convention who has never been there before you will both receive a special pat on the back from NFB State President, Scott C. LaBarre, Esq.

At Your Service,

[cid:image001.png at 01CDBC37.7997B120]
[2010LogoFinal (2)]

Office: 1-866-543-6808