[Colorado-talk] In the Dark TV Show

Dan Burke burke.dall at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 14:57:41 UTC 2019

from President Riccobono -

I just shared the post on the NFB's Face Book page, and urge all of
you to do the same.

In the Dark:
On April 4, the CW television network, which is affiliated with CBS,
plans to launch a television series called In the Dark that features a
blind character. This series is just the latest in a long line of
shows and movies about the blind, without the blind. The National
Federation of the Blind was not consulted at all by the CW during the
writing or casting process, and the producers claim they could not
find a blind actress to play the leading role. For this reason, and in
light of resolutions passed by our conventions on this topic, we
issued a strong statement urging the cancellation of the series. We
now need to follow up with action. We cannot allow Hollywood to define
us any longer. The blind belong at the center of our own stories,
playing blind characters and taking our place on screen alongside our
sighted colleagues. All affiliates should be amplifying this message
on your social media platforms using the hash tag #LetUsPlayUs.
Members who have been rejected for acting roles on the basis of
blindness or who have successfully participated in acting or
performance should email their stories to Chris Danielsen at
cdanielsen at nfb.org. Finally, it may be necessary for us to publicly
protest if the CW and the show’s producers do not respond to efforts
we have made to discuss this issue with them. Please stay tuned for
word of action that may be planned in the New York City area in early
April.

President, NFB of Denver

"Blindness is not what holds you back.  You can live the life you want!"