[Colorado-Talk] Thoughts on the motto living the life you want.

doula.jarboe at gmail.com doula.jarboe at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 01:25:51 UTC 2020

Hi Jenny and All,
  It's always great to hear new voices.  From my understanding, the
Federation is made up of people from all walks of life.  And that the
organization is what its members make it.  I definitely understand very much
feeling like a minority or not supported.  However, this past Convention I
thought took into account what people wanted to have.  Especially with
asking for submissions for ideas of breakout sessions.  There were a number
of items this year done that I haven't seen in the past because of that
process.  I consider myself a leader in the organization, but even so, I
still sometimes feel like a minority, or a misfit.  Because, I'm also
someone who doesn't have a "normal" fulltime job.  I have a rare genetic
syndrome that makes me devote a majority of my time to managing medical
issues.  I also consider myself a home maker, which is another profession
that isn't exactly celebrated in this day and age.  But, I think living the
life you want means exactly that.  That you are doing what you want and need
to do to live and survive.  If you have ideas, or think there are things
lacking in the organization, then speak up, or take action.  Or, talk with
other members and our leadership and brainstorm how something might be done.
It always bothers me when I feel like people are complaining about the
organization, or asking why the NFB isn't doing this or that.  When we,
those of us who are members are who do the things that get things done in
the organization.  If you don't feel like it's important or helpful or
useful to be a member and participate, that's your choice.  But, I'll give
an example.  We've been needing a division for the hard of hearing and
DeafBlind for a good while now.  And with the help of others, that's
something I'm working on building.  This past state Convention, there was a
breakout session on inclusion of people of diversity.  I thought it was a
great session, and an attempt to acknowledge some issues that don't always
get discussed.  And, I'd love to see more dealing with diversity, because, I
think that would help those of us who don't feel like we fit in with the
more typical issues.  There are times that I do feel very much on my own,
because besides the other people I know who live with my syndrome, and spend
each day of their life fighting with medical issues to live.  Outside of
that community, I don't know many blind people who also have to live life
with the balancing act of figuring out food, and diets and meds, and all the
complications that go along with having a rare disease.  And, perhaps there
are more people out there who struggle with these types of things, but if
so, it isn't widely talked about.  I don't think the organization wants to
exclude people, or make them feel less or down about themselves.  But,
unless we do things to speak up, such things can't be shared and addressed.

Warmly,
Doula