[Colorado-Talk] my thoughts on living the life you want

Holly Scott-Gardner hscott-gardner at cocenter.org
Sun Jan 12 07:07:55 UTC 2020

Hello all,

This has been a lively and interesting discussion, I've enjoyed reading all of your responses.

"Live the life you want," is a powerful statement that has guided me towards a more positive future. And yet whilst it is strong, it is also something which we take for granted and do not explore often enough. I appreciate the discussion that has sprung up around it and would like to offer some of my own thoughts.

Firstly, live the life you want does in some ways refer to our own choices as individuals. I can live the life I want and my blindness need not change that. Perhaps I won't find enough hours in the day to do all the things I would like, or I am limited by a lack of resources that I cannot change, but in respect to my blindness I have the skills to make choices regarding my own future. My recent training at CCB has enabled me to do this.

Something I haven't seen much discussion on is how it also applies to our legal rights as disabled people. I am only able to live the life I want because I have legal protection that allows me to do so. The ADA in the US, and the Equality Act back home, means I am entitled to access public places and obtain an equal education. I have legal rights, and thus choices about how I live my life. This is where we must continue to support one another as a federation. We have to continue to dedicate resources towards advocacy and lobbying in order to uphold our rights as blind people and ensure that when we do experience discrimination we have the resources to fight it. I am extremely grateful to everyone who works within the NFB in that capacity as they create a more equitable future for us all.

The topic of training centers is absolutely related to living the life we want. I benefited directly from training at CCB but I fundamentally believe that we must be able to choose what kind of training we receive. CCB has the right to enforce policies like the use of sleep shades, however you as a blind consumer can also choose to receive training at a center that does not implement such policies. This is the beauty of such a varied rehabilitation system.

But wherever you go, and wherever we work we must ask ourselves is the training we receive of a high enough standard. At the 2019 national convention I attended an event for blind rehabilitation professionals. One of the most significant things I took away from it was a question which was asked to the room at large. "How do we ensure that we are preparing our students for 21st century employment?" The question stuck with me throughout the rest of my training as an ITP student and is something I cannot avoid examining in more detail now I am beginning my journey as a rehabilitation professional.

The world is changing at a staggeringly fast pace. I'm young, a recent college grad and yet I look back at the resources that were available to me as a child vs the resources that blind people have now and the difference is almost unbelievable. We are able to access millions of books and we hold devices in our hands that are fully accessible and which we can use to manage almost all aspects of our lives. Technology is changing life for blind people, but it is also changing employment prospects for everyone, blind or otherwise. It's absolutely essential that blindness training keeps up with the demand for comprehensive tech skills or blind people are going to be left behind very quickly, in fact I'd argue that this is already happening.

We can't just hold onto the philosophy of the federation when implementing training programs, powerful and essential as it is. We also have to examine wider society and what is required in order to be successful in the workplace or in education. "Live the life you want" should underpin what training centers like CCB do, but in order to live the life they want, students must be prepared for the real world in 2020, not the world of the 1990s or early 2000s.

It would be unfair to say that instructors at the center don't recognise this because they absolutely do. From my perspective it's a much greater issue than CCB itself, we also have to look to the NBPCB for guidance and stronger certification programs and to divisions of the federation such as the National Association of Blind Rehabilitation Professionals to make stronger statements on how best to serve blind consumers.

So how do we change this? What do you want to see, from the federation and from the rehabilitation field? How do we keep living the lives we want in an ever-changing landscape? It is so easy to present problems and less easy to present solutions, yet we must do both if anything is going to change. My personal goal for this year is to meet students where they are at and to look at them as individuals, with their own unique hopes and dreams. How can I best work with them to ensure that they are ready to break into whatever field they want to? I am also going to strengthen my knowledge of advocacy, both self advocacy and advocating for others. Finally, I will support either the federation if I'm in the US, or advocacy groups back home with lobbying governmental departments to ensure our legal rights are upheld.

I can't change the whole federation, none of us can. But we do have a choice to commit to more decisive action as individuals.

Holly Scott-Gardner