[Colorado-Talk] Accessible Voting in Colorado: What is Good and What needs to be Improved?

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 17:04:27 UTC 2020

Greetings to all:

Here in Colorado, we, the blind, have at present two different ways to vote accessibly. One way for us to vote is by physically visiting a voting service center and asking to use the nonvisual or talking interface available on all of the voting machines. The second method involves using the new accessible online ballot marking system. Each method has its good points and its bad points.

I am seeking information from one and all about how these “accessible” methods are working. If you voted now or recently and if you are willing to tell your story—good or bad—would you please write something up and either post on Colorado-Talk or drop me an email offline: chong.curtis at gmail.com. The more information I get, the easier it will be for me and my Federation colleagues to press for improvements where needed and to recognize and express appreciation for the parts of the voting process that are working for us.

Colorado is very fortunate in this time of the coronavirus pandemic to have resolved most of the issues around vote-by-mail. Colorado has also exercised leadership in providing an accessible ballot marking system that works as long as a printer is available. Let's all work together to take the next step toward future improvements.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong