[Colorado-Talk] Why Australia's Crosswalk Buttons are the Best (ft. Billie Eilish)

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 22:04:56 UTC 2021

Hello:

I have personally experienced both types of nonvisual crossing indicators.
The city of Honolulu, Hawaii uses the first version demonstrated, that being
the tick tack model<smile>. When I compare this with what I observe in the
city of Aurora, I find the talking crossing indicators to be a lot less
disruptive. Besides, they tell you what street for which the walk signal is
on and can provide some form of homing indicator for the far side of the
street.

In terms of dealing with the leading pedestrian indicators that we talked
about at the convention, I do think that an approach has to be designed, and
I also think that we, blind people, need to be a part of the design process
just as we are with the 16th Street Mall redesign in Denver.

Kindly,

Curtis Chong