[Colorado-Talk] Possible Fix For Audio Sharing Bug in the Latest Zoom for Windows Update

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 01:00:01 UTC 2021

Greetings and salutations:

In an August 12 email (copy shown below) sent to the NFB Zoom Coordinators
listserv, I reported a bug with Zoom having to do with audio sharing. I
reported that if you routed your screen reader (in my case, JAWS for
Windows) to a sound device that was different from the one being used by
Zoom, everyone in the Zoom meeting could hear your screen reader talking
when audio sharing was activated. Needless to say, I found this bug to be
quite vexing when, for example, it came time to play the Presidential
Release at a virtual chapter meeting. I reported this problem to the fine
folks at Zoom, and folks from Zoom spent a couple of hours working with me
to verify the problem.

I have now been given clearance to distribute a link to a 64-bit (and yes,
current) version of Zoom which the folks at Zoom call a "work-around." This
64-bit version of Zoom (at least on my system) does fix the problem where
your screen reader is heard by everyone even though you have directed it to
a different sound card.

Here is the link.
https://zoom.us/client/5.8.0.1324/ZoomInstaller.exe?archType=x64

As I say, this version fixes the problem for me. Hopefully, it will also fix
the audio sharing problem for others.

With best wishes,

Curtis Chong