[Colorado-Talk] Blind parents

Maureen Nietfeld maureenbassmaster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 01:42:10 UTC 2022

When: April 23, 2022 (12:00 PM to 2:00PM)

Where: Colorado Center for the Blind (2233 W Shepperd Ave., Littleton, CO 80120)

We’re combining FAST and learning Box again this month for an all in-person Saturday afternoon of fun and learning! We have two activities planned for students: learning about planting and playing goalball. Students will get to do both.

Ann Cunningham will teach about the life stages of a lima bean, from germination to a full-grown plant. She will have tactile pictures and plants in several stages of growth that students will explore. Then students will plant seeds in a small planter box. They will also have an option to take home lima beans and necessary supplies for planting more.

Of course there will be Goalball in the gym, and everyone gets to play! Do we have to say that goalball is a lot of fun? But it also offers the lessons of any team sport - teamwork, collaboration, and communication.

For Parents:
Parents of blind children and blind parents will collaborate on making fun snacks for all the kids. members of the Blind Parents’ Division of the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado will lead the activity by teaching their sighted fellow parents safe and effective nonvisual techniques in the kitchen. These are techniques parents can then teach to their own children in order to help foster greater age-appropriate independence.

For Young Children:
We invite all members of the Blind Parents’ Division to attend with their little ones. Our younger participants can plant lima beans. Afterwards, they can spend time with friends, playing various games, such as Red Light, Green Light. One of our blind parents will read a braille story to the children. Supervision and snacks will be provided.

Click the link below to register your student by April 15.

https://cocenter.org/civicrm/event/register/?id=95&reset=1

If you have any further questions, please contact Anahit Labarre, alabarre at cocenter.org or 303-778-1130,,223

Maureen Nietfeld
Student Services Director

Colorado Center for the Blind
Phone: 303.778.1130  Ext:  233
Fax:  303.778.1598
2233 W. Shepperd Ave.
Littleton, CO 80120

Take Charge with Confidence and Self-Reliance
cocenter.org
Facebook TwitterYouTube