[Colorado-Talk] Washington seminar special Mountain Time at 5. The Colorado Caucus

kevan at nfbco.org kevan at nfbco.org
Tue Feb 1 17:19:04 UTC 2022

Greetings all! I'm told some of you missed this post from Dan Burke our
legislative chair. We encourage all to join us for our Washington seminar
colorado caucus this Thursday, February 3rd at 5 pm. If you know students or
teachers who have an interest in civics? Encourage them to join us as well.
Next week is one of the most important weeks of the year for the blind of
America. Learn how you can be a part of changing the world by meeting with
our members of Congress and members of their staff. The zoom link follows
Dan's announcement here. Everyone can join at least one or maybe two or
three of next week's meetings with this nation's lawmakers.

Subject:  Colorado Mountain Time at Five Caucus, Feb 3

It's Washington Seminar time, and that means it's time for our Colorado
Caucus. Although we can't be in the Holiday Inn Capitol this year, a
Mountain Time at Five Zoom get-together on Thursday, February 3, 5:00 p.m.,
seems like a perfect alternative. So why don't you join us!

At our caucus, you can learn about the issues we will be discussing with
Colorado's Congressional delegation and ask questions about any issue that
you might not understand. We will go over the legislative priorities, the
schedule of Washington Seminar events, break up into teams,  and review our
Congressional appointments. Since all of our Congressional meetings will be
on Zoom, plan on slipping into one (or all nine) of them during the week of
February 7. On February 7, join us at our Great Gathering-In starting at
5:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

We have four legislative priorities this year:

Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 431/S. 212)

The cost of critically needed access technology is out of reach for most
blind Americans.

Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 4853)

Advanced digital interfaces create barriers that prevent blind individuals
from independently and safely operating home-use medical devices that are
essential to their daily healthcare needs. The Medical Device Nonvisual
Accessibility Act will end unequal access to home-use medical devices for
blind Americans.

Twenty-First Century Website and Application Accessibility Act

Websites are required by law to be accessible, but without implementing
regulations most businesses and retailers have little understanding of what
accessible means. The Twenty-First Century Websites and Applications
Accessibility Act will end website and mobile application inaccessibility
for blind Americans.

Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act (H.R. 2373/S. 3238)

Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 authorizes employers
to pay workers with disabilities subminimum wages while they perform mundane
tasks that do not transfer into skills necessary to transition to other
employment options. The Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment
Act will end this antiquated and discriminatory practice for all Americans
with disabilities.

We encourage you to study up on the issues before our Mountain Time at Five
Caucus. You can find the Fact Sheets, with more detail than given here, on
our Washington Seminar web page. Fact Sheets are available in HTML, Word,
and Audio formats.

See you at 5 on Thursday!

Mountain Time at 5 Zoom information

Join Zoom Meeting