[Colorado-Talk] White Cane Awareness Day Proclamation Issued by Aurora Mayor Mike Coffman

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 19:59:47 UTC 2022

Greetings all:

Michael Coffman, Mayor of the city of Aurora, has declared October 15, 2022
as White Cane Awareness Day in the City of Aurora. This proclamation is a
direct result of the work of our Aurora Chapter which, for the past three
years, has successfully worked with the City of Aurora to have October 15 of
2019, 2020, 2021, and now, 2022, declared as White Cane Awareness Day. The
text of the most recent proclamation is shown below for your reading
pleasure.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong, Treasurer

Aurora Chapter

National Federation of the Blind of Colorado

Proclamation

WHEREAS, many blind / visually impaired persons move self-reliantly on our
public streets, roads, and at places of public accommodation using their
white canes or guide dogs; and,

WHEREAS, the white cane, which every blind citizen has the right to carry,
is a safety instrument that demonstrates and symbolizes the ability of blind
people to achieve a full and independent life, their ability to travel
independently, and their capacity to work productively in competitive
employment; and,

WHEREAS, Colorado's White Cane Law is the right to open access to public
places and protections from discrimination based on blindness or visual
impairment; and,

WHEREAS, Colorado law calls upon employers, both public and private, to be
aware of and utilize the employment skills of our blind citizens by
recognizing their worth as individuals and their productive capacities; and,

WHEREAS, the State of Colorado and the City of Aurora, through their public
agencies and with the cooperative assistance of the National Federation of
the Blind of Colorado and its local chapters, can and should facilitate the
expansion of employment opportunities for and greater acceptance of blind
persons in the competitive labor market; and,

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Mike Coffman, Mayor of the city of Aurora, do hereby
proclaim October 15, 2022, as:

WHITE CANE AWARENESS DAY

and encourage Aurorans to recognize that persons with disabilities have much
to offer and their energy, creativity, and hard work can greatly strengthen
our city and our economy.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the seal of the
City of Aurora, Colorado to be affixed this 3rd  day of October 2022.

Mike Coffman, Mayor

Aurora, Colorado