[Community-service] Introduction.

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 03:29:31 UTC 2010

--
Darian Smith
Skype: The_Blind_Truth
Windows Live: Lightningrod2010 at live.com
The National Federation of the Blind has launched a nationwide teacher
recruitment campaign to help attract energetic and passionate
individuals into the field of blindness education, and we need your
help!   To Get Involved  go to:
www.TeachBlindStudents.org

Hello,
  i would like to take a quick moment to introduce myself.
  My name is Darian Smith.  I am   a student in  san  francisco
california.  I am currently a member of the local chapter here, the
student division  in california, and a board member/membership co-
chair for the  national association of blind students.
 I  have   always had my hands  in some sort of community service
related  situations, from working with parks and recreation in
recreation programs; gardening and camping to  the biggest challange
I have most recently taken on  as a member of the national civilian
community corps; an Americorps program.  I served as a corps member in
this programwhere I  worked on hiking trails in boulder and southern
colorado, assisted in rebuilding south east texas,  revitilizing
central alabama, to forrestry work in the   moutains of cenrral
colorado as well  as worked to develope  th work ethics and confidence
of inner city youth in Denver.
 I was  likely the first blind person to take part in this program and
was very successful in this program.
 I would like very much to see more of a positive focus on community
service in the NFB, as I believe it can do nothing but really positive
things if we take the time to cultivate partnerships with local
communities and show that we as blind people have no problems rolling
up our sleeves and getting work done for  the greater community

 Best,
  Darian