[Community-service] working in an animal shelter?

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 04:11:19 UTC 2010

Hi,
I have never worked on a regular basis in an animal shelter but I did volunteer once or twice a year at the Humane Society when they would give out rabies shots and baths for dogs. I usually  helped bathe the dogs, which was messy but a lot of fun. Washing dogs is hands on anyway. I'm sure you could find other nonvisual stuff to do. Cleaning cages doesn't sound fun but should be very doable.

I never had anyone mention to me concern about my blindness  . I just asked what kinds of things they needed help with and picked the one which seemed to need the least accommodation. I also always went with a group of friends. Hope this is helpful.
Greg