[Community-service] [community-service]New Member

jktomasell at aol.com jktomasell at aol.com
Wed May 5 20:16:23 UTC 2010

Hello:

     My name is Jaime Tomasello, and I am from CA.  Currently I attend
Diablo Valley College completing the last of my pre reqs. before
transferring to Saint Mary's College of CA where I will be majoring in
liberal/civic studies with a minor in women's studies.  I work as a
student assistant in the disabled students computer lab at DVC training
other visually impaired and blind students how to use the computer as a
blind independent user.  I also teach Braille too.  My school schedule
does not allow me to do much community service for right now but in the
past I did a lot of community service and now with school I try my best
to help out in the community.  In the past I was in Girl Scouts for
nine years and in my troop we did a lot of community service.  From
singing christmas carols and visiting those who do not get a lot of
vistors who live in a retirement facility to make holiday cards to
those who are terminally ill, and ect.  I was also a member of the
International Order of the Rainbow for Girls for six years.  Rainbow
girls is a youth organization for girls between the ages of 11-21 and
this organization is supported by masons.  I participated in many
community service projects while being a member of this organization
 from making and serving lunch monthly at a homeless shelter, helping at
different walk a thons for other organizations, making and delivering
cards at the vetrans hospital, and serving for the masons by serving at
masonic events and also assisting in preparing for their monthly
mailings, and ect..  Every year each state where there is rainbow they
raise funds for a state wide service project.  Every year I was in
rainbow in CA we would raise over $80,000 for an organization.  I have
also participated by helping at the local library in the past and visit
and entertained patients in the convalessment hospital.  After
graduating from the Colorado Center in 2005 I was asked to speak in the
special education classes at DVC to educate others who are taking these
specific classes that a blind person can do it all because most of
these students who take the special education classes to prepare to
become future special education teachers have never been around a
confident and independent blind person before.  I continue to do these
speaking engagements in the special education classes at DVC every
semester and have already been asked to do it again for the upcoming
fall semester.  Currently, I am the secretary for the NFBC San
Francisco Chapter.  In the past we have raise money and toys for the
toys for tots program through the San Francisco Fire Fighter
Department.  I believe and hope that my chapter can do more community
service activities since we as blind people get assistance by others
all the time in my opinion.  How do I get my chapter from all agreeing
that doing a service project or projects is a great idea to actually
doing and participating in them.  To me that is the issue for my
chapter.  Any suggestions?  Hope that everyone have a great day.

Jaime Tomasello